Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
610 Posts
deermafia said:
Ive been loading ftx bullets in for my 35 remmy with H4895 with good results. Looking to load some rounds for plinking and would like to stay with the same powder if possible. I was looking at Hornady .357 bullets and would like to know the recommended load for these bullets with this powder.
158 HP-XTP
180 HP-XTP

I will be plinking at 75 yards or less. Thanks
Edit: I wanted to add that I have an RCBS FL Die Set and a Lee Classic Cast Press
YOu might also need a Lee Factory Crimp Die. One of my 35 marlins does not like pistol bullets crimped on the cannelure and will jam with a tube full of cartridges. I need to crimp at something close to the lenth of 200gr corelokt rounds for my 336CS

·
Banned
610 Posts
35remington said:
Problem with that is if there is too much full diameter bearing surface outside of the case when using pistol bullets the typical short throated 336 may not allow the cartridge to chamber fully because the rifling contacts the bullet. Such prevents the lever from closing.

I have one longer throated 336 that will allow longer seated pistol bullets; the other ones won't tolerate it.

As always, when changing how something is done, check to see if the cartridge chambers fully before loading a large batch.

Sessions with the bullet puller and a lot of ammo are to be avoided!

We had a discussion on cartridge overall length and the propensity to jam. In theory, this should not happen as the lifter/tube shouldn't be cartridge length dependent, but in actual practice oftentimes the 35 Remington caliber is sensitive to cartridge length.

I theorize this is because flat nosed bullets allow perfect nose to tail orientation of the cartridge in the tube and do not allow the cutoff portion of the lifter to function as intended. The rub is that the cure (longer OAL) may not allow the cartridge to chamber.

Experiment with feeding to find out for yourself.
good points.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.