Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Considerations are the size and weight of your scope and its mounting height (higher = more torque on base attachment screws), scope base and size of its mounting screws.

Look at high power rifle set ups. Something like the heavier Weatherby magnums and African rifles. Those rifles have the same problems to contend with. Look at how those guys solve them.

Recoil from a 45-70 is not as heavy as with those.

I'm not familiar with those rings. But if you're really concerned, I wouldn't go with a quick detach ring, definitely not ones with a single finger lever to do it. And I would go with a name brand set of rings. I would use at least a screw that needed a screwdriver or a coin to release it.

Scope Ring Reviews
And CCOP is on that list.

Good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hundreds of M1895 owners use quality rings with no issues. Many use cheap rings too, I’m not aware of significant issues. The fact that the OP is looking at 30 mm rings infers that he may use a larger, heavier scope. So if it were me, I’d not rely on cheap QD rings with limited clamping ability but instead on quality name-brand base and rings. But that’s just me, cheap might work fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before I got my Leupold freedom scout scope, I had Vortex Crossfire II at the top of my Marlin 1895. I used Leupold QR base and 30 mm rings with it and they worked and held zero great. Now with the scout scope I am using XS Sight Lever Scout and Sako Optilock rings, but if you want to use quick release option my vote goes for Leupold QR.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Although they're both one inch, I've not had any issues with the Leupold QR on my 444 or the Warne's on my 9.3 x 62. Neither of the scopes are very large or heavy. Leupold 2.5 - 8 on the 444 and Burris 1.75 - 5 Fullfield on the Ruger African.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your thoughts all together. I think I will take Leupold PRW2 rings with screws, because I really don't need to change sights (red dot and scope) too often and because their quality is beyond doubt. Thanks again, good to find thoughtful advice here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts