Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I was wondering if it was going to happen this year!
Our Turkey population here in the White Mts took a beating from this past winter.But the stars aligned this AM and let me connect on this Bad Larry.
He weighs 22 1/2 lbs...10 inch beard.....1" spurs.
I could not have asked for a more beautiful morning, or exciting hunt.
Our leaves are just about to come out on our trees here,and the hunting get's a lot more challenging once the foiliage explodes.
Good luck to those still on the hunt. DSCF3028.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Nice looking bird Fran

Reactions: deerhog

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Fellas,now I have to wait until Sept 15th do this again!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Congrats to you Fran :congrats: Nice lookin Ol'Bird (The Turkey) wait, The turkey with feathers! :biggrin: LOL

Good for you bud! :tee: Enjoy the fine eatin :eating:

Ray

PS
Whatcha use to get him, details details :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here goes ....I had not seen this bird before this AM.
The bird population here is way,way,down due to the winter.I was running and gunning this AM as I had not roosted a bird last night to hunt.
the season has been open here since the 3rd and it does not take long for the birds to get educated.
I was at my 3rd stop of the morning ready to call it quits for the season as my workload would not let me hunt again for at least another week.
At my last stop ,there were no birds.But across the Pemigewasset river ,way off, I heard a bird hammering away at 7:00.
So I jumped in the truckand drove 10 miles down the road to a bridge to get to the other side.
Once I got to where I heard the bird,I spotted him about 500 yds across a wide open field.Alone!
I tried my mouth call but the bird could not hear it.
I then pulled out my slate and started to cut really aggressively.I could see him stretch his neck out ,but he was so far ,I could not hear him gobble.
he folded up and sprinted my way.He stopped 150 yds out and stood spitting and strutting.
I put my diaphragm call in and sweet talked him on a rope to 15 yds.
I shot him with my son's Mossberg 500,with 3" #4 federals.
He never knew what hit him.I wanted to shoot him sooner,but did not have a good set up and could not point to the direction he was coming.
heck, I was thinking,If this bird comes any closer,Im either gonna miss or cut his blame head off! LOL!
Very exciting,text book hunt.I took my boy's gun because he could not be with me.So it was the next best thing I suppose.He suggested to me last night on the phone to bloody his shotgun.So I obliged.
Im telling you what,Calling in these gooney birds has become one of my favorite hunts for the last 30 years,almost as exciting as deer hunting.Almost!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Huge congrats on a great bird!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Sounds like an Awesome excursion for sure!!!

""I love it when a plan comes together"" must have been goin through your mind...? :congrats:

Thanks & Enjoy
Blood

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I put in for too early this year. I like it after the leaves come on. Congrats on the gobbler, enjoy.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats! Nice bird there. You know, after reading your comment above, in recent years I think maybe I've started to like hunting them Gobblers more than Deer myself, LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts