Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Way to go Brother!!

Nothing like traditional archery.......up close and personal...congrats.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Congrats! Good shooting.

Reactions: vt4ster and Vooch

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nice job!

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
:tee:

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Congratulations! Yes, I agree that the story would be a nice touch. Like had you hunted there before? Seen that buck before, you know, the more details the better. Very nice deer!

Reactions: Vooch and vt4ster

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so yesterday am i got in my tree IMG_0437.jpg earlier than normal. with a cloudy sky and still heavy leaf cover the woods were dark till 7-7:15
I heard deer coming from the north, (mild breeze was out of the south) I thought this will never happen. The first deer reached the ridge top (That maple is in a fence line in a saddle on a ridge) The first one turned to the east and out the ridge. a few minutes latter the second came to the top of ridge and turned to the west and walked under me. I could make out the white ring around his nose and raised my binocs to see his horns.
He turned south and walked out 24 yards. I remember thinking there he goes as he walked away. Then he turned sideways. I drew and could only make out his back line. It was 6:50 or so. I dropped my pin below the back line and shot.
He went 44 yards. I did not use blood to track. I walked right to him. I probably would have seen him go down if the timber was open. I was amazed at the piece of lung that was on the ground. IMG_0424.jpg IMG_0423.jpg IMG_0430.jpg He is in the freezer all ready, as it was to warm to hang.

The coyote was shot same tree Thursday AM He was 32 yards He stopped behind a tree, I drew and held for an eternity or at least it seamed to be. He took a step and that was that. DRT IMG_0387.jpg I will be back out this Eve. I am more of a doe hunter with bow. My whole family enjoys venison.
I have a daughter very happy with me. She is in England for a semester of College. First meal when she returns will be back strapped wrapped with bacon.
YUM
Good luck to all headed out to hunt. stick bow, compound, xbow, hand gun, rifle muzzleloader etc. it's all awesome. Take a kid, keep the sport alive, we are a shrinking group.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Congrats on the deer, " the hard way"( bow ), big kudos on the coyote, you probably saved a bunch of your future fawns, you made a good coyote out of him!! LOL T Rex

·
Registered
937 Posts
Congrats Vt - thanks for sharing

Your handle would indicate that you might be a Forester in Vt - if so what part of the state - I managed some timberland in the NE Kingdom for a few years in the 90's.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I worked central southern NH most all of VT and eastern NY for Wagner Woodlands or Forest mgt for 20 years I am in SW VT near NY I am working for Cersosimo Lumber now, mostly in ADKs

Congrats Vt - thanks for sharing

Your handle would indicate that you might be a Forester in Vt - if so what part of the state - I managed some timberland in the NE Kingdom for a few years in the 90's.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
:congrats:

Way To Go - and Thanks for Sharing with us!!

:top:

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
PS - Back Strap Wrapped in Bacon....?!!

I might just fly to England just so I can return home to you! LoL!!

Thanks for the pictures and the great stories to go with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts