Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the magazine nearly at the end of the barrel the Beartooth Merc and WWG light mounts will put the laser light past and close to end of barrel. Anyone have a solution, need for night hog hunting when by myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
check optics planet they have a ring for mounting your light on the scope itself if you are using one or if you are using iron sights get a set of see through rings for a scope and mount it in those. i have a set of see-throughs on my LTD II so that i can utilize iron sights or scope as i want. best of luck with your CB and go get that bacon on the hoof!:biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GrondHamar - have the Millett see through coming my way, should work well!

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Duck tape? :biggrin: Actually GronHamar got here first....but you COULD use maybe CAMO ducktape! :eating:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
bobdog

Welcome to the forum. I don't have much experience with night hunting, but have walked out of the woods a number of times after dark.
I used a headlight that'd strap onto my hat. Would this work for your application? It'd leave both hands free to work your Marlin?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Reactions: Frank V

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning Frank, I see location is SW MT, I grew up in Sidney, a Great Plains boy and went to school in Butte in the 70's, lived kitty corner from Evel and watched his boys grow up on their bikes in the sand dunes. And my wife helped deliver his last kid!! Yes, I use a headlamp too as the hands need to be free with the 45/70. I have had to resort to gut shooting the hogs with a 223 as can do it one handed while chasing with Gator when by myself. That may sound horrible but on my 412 acres (before the 3 year hard drought), we were taking over 100 hogs per year. Incredible pest and they can make your pastures look like a badly plowed field overnight. The only thing in Texas that you cannot do to kill hogs is poison them... The 45/70 is a wonderful gun to shoot the hogs with when stalking them. I tell the city folk that the bullet is so large that a near miss will suck the hog into the black hole created - only a few know laugh!!

Another question, when wearing gloves the small original lever is not so easy to work quickly, can anyone recommend a big loop lever? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't tried with iron sights yet, which I will when I get it mounted to the 45/70. It works amazingly well on my AR with a Trijicon scope. I need to upgrade the mount such that I can "sight" in the laser light too although I don't know if it is as accurate as a laser made for sighting. On a dark nght, (guessing on yardage), I can clearly see the animal thru the scope and you can adjust the subzero as to the diameter of the circle of green light - the smaller, the more distance in which it is brighter and makes target more distinct.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks GrondHamar, looks like a nice setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts