Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried Remington SubSonics? I just picked up a couple of boxes, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

firstshot
-------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I tried those quite some time ago Firstshot and I did not like them at all. Very inconsistent. Unless they've improved since then, they're not good for anything except shooting cans or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both my 2000L and 7000 get very poor groups with Remington. The best groups I get are using Federal bulk and Wolf.

Next weekend I am going to try Federal Champion 510 in my 2000L.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I was not pleased with the Remington subsonics for the same reason Sarge didn't like them.
If you can find them, try Aguila subsonics or PMC Moderators..

In standard speed I found CCI standards to group virtually equal with their Green Tag target ammo....at about 1/4 the cost.

But then, Winchester T-22s have always been very consistant for me...

Naturally one has to consider that likes of individual rifles can vary greatly....the cartridges i mentioned perform very well in most of my rifles...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like in general the Rem Subsonics suck!

I picked up the Rem Subsonics primarilly to make sure my chronograph is working before firing 7mm-08 loads through it. I sure they will work well enough for that.

Thanks again

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I shot some Remington Subs for a ammo review and they had a 245 ft/sec spread for each 10 -shot string. Accuracy sucked. Try the Aguila "SE" Sub Sonic HP. They work very much like the good Eley Subs. Kill rabbits dead! ~Andrew

·
Banned
843 Posts
For subsonics my 39a and model 62 like PMC Moderators....quiet, too.

........................................TM7

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hey Andrew;
Did you notice how that Aguila ammo smells like Eley ?
Is Aguila using Eley ammo or perhaps their primer ?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Aguila uses Eley Priming in all their cartridges. I have found that the Eley SubSonics shoot no better than the Aguila Subs in my rifles. I hunted with the Eley's in the UK using a silenced 452 CZ. Back home I found that my Brno #1 shoots the Eley and Aguila into identical groups. Ah heck! Both shoot better than I do, anyhow. ~Andrew

·
Registered
69 Posts
They shoot pretty good for me, limited range though so keep that in mind. I've shot em outta my Mossberg 144, TC Classic and even my 1022 with good results at shorter ranges (less than 50 yards).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tried 'em and didn't like them at all. Wolf on the other hand provides excellent performance! CCI .22 Long CB's work the best for when you are trying to keep quiet. I actually used these to pop squirrels out of my deer stand last year while waiting on the whitetails to come along. Very quiet and deadly accurate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mojo^ said:
Tried 'em and didn't like them at all. Wolf on the other hand provides excellent performance! CCI .22 Long CB's work the best for when you are trying to keep quiet. I actually used these to pop squirrels out of my deer stand last year while waiting on the whitetails to come along. Very quiet and deadly accurate.
Another vote for CB Longs, very consistant and quiet.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks Andrew, I knew there was some relationship there...same aroma.. PMC the same ?

I like those CCI CB longs also...in my 23.5 " CZ they are very quiet...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes sir. PMC is the same. PMC of course, doesn't make their own rimfire ammunition. They market someone elses work under their name. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Next time try shooting 10 shot groups, five of each. Some of your groups were too close to call as being the ammo! Good shooting rifle though! My bolt guns shoot the Wolf Match like nobody's business but I can't get equal grouping with it in my semi's. For all my rifles, the real surprise has been Aguila "SE" High Velocity. The stuff shoots almost as good as the Wolf in my bolt actions and will shoot fifty shots into a 5/8" at fifty yards from my 1-18" twist Ruger 10/22. Good stuff.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
CCI Subsonics are quite accurate in my 39-A. The 40 gr h.p. bullet on these is quite long- enough to cause troubles with a match chamber. They seem to lose steam quite rapidly around 75 yds or so.

At one time, long ago, the Rem Subsonics were the cat's meow. I came very close to maxxing the early BDT with them. Used to buy them by the brick.... until q.c. problems started showing up in the form of fail to fires's.

I've been having very good results with the Win Dynapoint L.R. h.p.'s from Wally. The boxes are marked high velocity, but they sure don't shoot or sound like it. They are very quiet, and group surprisingly well. The "brick" of 500 loose rounds are the only way they are sold, and Wally and K-mart are the only ones to carry this stuff. Great value at eleven bucks per 500...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
My experience with the Remington Subsonic is almost identical to Doc Sharptail's. The early Remingtons averaged around 1080 fps and seemed to shoot accurately. My customized 10/22 particularly liked them.

Recent lots have averaged around 1000 fps with poorer accuracy and misfires. On three occasions I've had misfires while hunting. I hunted squirrels with them almost exclusively for two years (the early lots) and they seemed to work well enough, considering I take mostly chest shots.

However, for reliability, accuracy and killing effect they are nowhere near the CCI Subsonic hollowpoint. These rounds are noticeably more effective than the Remington, and far more consistent. The much larger hollowpoint of the CCI subsonic means the bullet opens more reliably. Evidence from dressing game taken with the Remington subsonic suggested the Remington product was not expanding much of the time.

Sadly, poor rimfire ammunition seems to be SOP for Remington.

The downside of the CCI stuff, as mentioned, is that the forward band of the bullet will engrave considerably in match chambered rifles and makes the bolt stiffer to close. It's probably best in semi-match or standard chambered guns and shows very good accuracy in them.

I purchased some Eley Subsonic to test at the range and in the field; we'll see how it does compared to the CCI stuff. The hollowpoint is noticeably smaller than the CCI, but considerably bigger than on the Remington bullet. I am sure it will be very accurate, but I have my doubts it will surpass the CCI Subsonic for game taking effect.

Trajectory limits range on small game to around 60 yards with all the subsonics, unless you are very good at judging range at longer distances.

From what I've seen, the Remington Subsonic seems to be the best selling of all the subsonics; I attribute this to cost and availability.

Based on performance, it appears to be dead last.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I hunted small game in the Highlands of Scotland with a CZ452 sporting a suppressor and used Eley Subsonic HP's exclusively. They are exceedingly accurate and as good as anything produced on this side of the big pond. Close (if not equal) are the Aguila Subsonic HP's which sport a nearly identical bullet and priming. Of Course PMC "Modeators" would then be same-same for performance.

I have yet to try the CCI's but I guess now I'll have to! I keep one JW-15 bolt action set up for just Sub Sonic rounds. It's real joy to shoot: accurate and quiet.~Andrew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts