Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new to me 375 Marlin at my FFL yesterday (thanks Rogmatt). I plan on a range trip tomorrow, is it okay to hang out here before I shot the 375?:biggrin:

BB

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Not only is it OK, I wonder why anyone goes anywhere else...

This is THE place to find out how to put on See-Thru scope rings on your old Marlins, how to install a thumb-hole stock on your levergun and how to hot-rod black powder calibers so they can kill modern Deer. :flute:

Welcome to the best free-ranging, drool swilling, peep punching, curmudgeon crew on the interwebs. Your robe is on the hook next to the door. It ties in the back. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Not only is it OK, I wonder why anyone goes anywhere else...

This is THE place to find out how to put on See-Thru scope rings on your old Marlins, how to install a thumb-hole stock on your levergun and how to hot-rod black powder calibers so they can kill modern Deer. :flute:

Welcome to the best free-ranging, drool swilling, peep punching, curmudgeon crew on the interwebs. Your robe is on the hook next to the door. It ties in the back. :biggrin:
Great Indian Chiefs had their Buffalo Robes............Some of us got our .......:hmmmm:...........Aw, never mind..........You'll catch on, sooner or later........:flute:..But if ya don't have good BOOTS, ya got NO business wearin' a Robe!

Tom...........:vollkommenauf:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You'll need to have a Tie if you hang out with them more civilized Wyoming Dinger Ringers.

At the U-Pick a robe, hat and boots are sufficient for normal shooting conditions and Nurses' "treatments." Nurses Bambi and Bubbles just recently let me start wearing the robes with the sleeves that don't tie in the back so long as Cleat is around to keep and eye on me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
bikerbean,

Here are all those photos from your zip file -

image001 (4).jpg

image001 (5).jpg

image001.jpg

image001 (2).jpg

image001 (3).jpg

Great looking rifle by the way. Looks like it's headed to a good home, can't wait for the range report.

B

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey BB. I can only warn you, I can't prevent any of the bad influences if you won't listen.

Be careful,

Mark. :wink:

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Administrator
28,341 Posts
Well, you lucky dawg! That is one sweet 375.

Looking forward to a range report... with pictures. :biggrin:

Jack

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old eyes, so I have to wait for the Leupold rail to arrive before shooting groups. How many demerits do I get for putting a scope on another LG? I do have some test loads ready, 220g Hornady FNs over H4198, 264g Lyman & 250g RCBS LFNGCs over SR 4759 and a homemade jacketed soft nose over 4759. Hopefully the 375win will like one of my offerings, if not I will through a virgin in a volcano and start over.:biggrin:

What's this robe stuff? Am I supposed to wear clothes when I go to the range? :flute:

BB

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good morning
You have made a good investment in a caliber 38 rifle.
Growing up in Michigan the old north hunters extolled the wonders of the 38-55 and other caliber 38's. I wondered about all that till I bought my first. No doubt about it... you can hunt anything with it.. at least in North America.

With round ball loads bunnies get well tumbled. Even ground hogs smacked with a RB at 1400 fps do not go far. Up to 150 grainers knock out any critter up to 100 pounds with ease. Move up to the 255's or so, and bears are not an issue.. just be sure where you are thumping them.
And then there are the 300 grainers and heavier.. I hunt river bottoms. My farthest shot has been about 34 yards. I have no problem loading a 320 grainer at 1200 fps and being ready for a less than 50 yard shot. They will go through most any critter walking about from most any angle.

I do all my own bullet casting so can load all these. And there is where the versatility is.. Stores shelves offer near nothing. By making my own I am never without any loading I could ever dream of.

So enjoy reading and learning. Look beyond the stores. Expand your horizons. Go back in time when hunters were not looking to factories for ammo.. but had well learned they themselves were the makers of what was available.

Mike in Peru

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Used to be a fella that had a Handi in 38-55 that had a mold he had machined for 3/8th copper tubing so he could pour them full of lead with a moderate load he was getting some impressive accuracy. Kind of a poor mans jacketed bullet.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No patience on my part, shot the 375W yesterday w/o a scope. At 50 yards, the 220g jacketed FNs were hitting low with the rear sight elevation maxed out. Switched to the cast bullets and the gun was perfect with the rear sight a couple of notches below max. I am taking this as a sign this rifle prefers boolits over bullets.:biggrin:

I only had one of my hillybilly homemade jacketed soft points. (fired 380auto brass with the spent primer still seated. I seated a Lee LRFN 158g .358 boolit until it is firm against the case head of the 380 brass.) My jacketed SPs weigh about 210g and I shot this one over SR 4759 at 25 yards, wanted to make sure I hit the target. Dead center left to right and a little bit lower than the cast boolits and a perfectly round hole. I am going to load up a couple of dozen of these and try again once my scope is mounted.

The rifle feeds, cycles and shoots great! Very happy with this one.

BB

1 - 20 of 38 Posts