Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at rifle vises. So far the Tipton brand looks promising, specifically the "Best Gun Vise". When reading the reviews given by people who have bought them, the "One Star" guys always complain that they are made of plastic and will flex under pressure.
Just wondering about that as it seems that those complainers are very much in the minority.

I suspect the best rifle vises are ones you make yourself, but I have enough projects and would like to just go get a store bought one.

Any suggestions for a sturdy store bought rifle vise?

I don't plan to do any heavy duty stuff like changing barrels, just something to hold my rifles while I clean them and mount scopes and such

Reactions: msharley and oleroy

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yep, you are correct, the best one is the one you build yourself, i have tried a couple store bought ones, who claimed to be the best on the market, but wound up building my own to suit the guns i wanted to work on, and not be a universal vise that is a "one fits all" . When you have several firearms, there is no vise that fits all, at least, not the way i wanted it too.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Greg, if You're looking for a rifle vise just for cleaning, scope mounting & light maintenance work, this is one I've used for years, inexpensive from Wallyworld Technology Electronic device Plastic
I wish I had a nickel for everytime I've used this little vise for cleaning & scope mounting!!:flute: Just got thru using it a few minutes ago cleaning 2 bolt guns!!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greg, if You're looking for a rifle vise just for cleaning, scope mounting & light maintenance work, this is one I've used for years, inexpensive from Wallyworld View attachment 105562 I wish I had a nickel for everytime I've used this little vise for cleaning & scope mounting!!:flute: Just got thru using it a few minutes ago cleaning 2 bolt guns!!

Do you have a model number or anything?

Reactions: oleroy

·
Registered
11,573 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Greg M, I purchased a Tiptons vice last year and have been very happy with it. I have used it for removing sights and scopes with no problems. I would think that a home made vice designed to fit a specific gun would work better for that specific gun. I think I paid around $40 bucks for mine not sure my memory fails me these day.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Greg
I have the Tipton "Best gunvise" and it works great for me. Yeah its plastic but that hasn't hurt or been an issue for me. It's sturdy and holds tight.

"Reviews",,, ALWAYS gonna be cry babies....

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Greg,

Our rifle mechanic uses the Tipton Best Vise. A quality item.

I have been using this MTM job, for years. MTM Portable Rifle-Shotgun Gun Maintenance Center Plastic Red

Not quite as sturdy, but easy to take to the range with me, when "breaking in" a rifle barrel.

Either one, will serve you well.

(if I were to buy another one, would go with the Tipton's, for all rifles except the M-1's and 1187's, which need to be cleaned "upside down")

Let us know what you decide.

Later, Mark

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I just ordered the Tipton Best Vise.

Reactions: paulo57509

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
I got a Tipton Best Vise last year (or was it the year before?). :hmmmm: You'll like yours, I'm sure.

Anyway, it's the best gun accessory I've gotten in a long time. Gone are the days of cleaning rifles like they were fish.

Reactions: raindawg
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.