Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a strange question but while I was reading through the Tactical Lever Action posts (and being retired military) I wondered "has anyone has ever attached a bayonet to a Lever gun?"

If so, how would you go about it? My first thoughts would be a bayonet bracket similar to the kind found on the WWI Trench Shotguns. Yes I know it's a weird idea but hey.....it could come in handy during the Zombie Apocalypse right?:hmmmm:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The lug would be the same. It would be relatively easy to fabricate a barrel shroud and attach an AR15 lug. There are plenty of clamp on AR lugs for 16" carbines.

Might be a fun project.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Id use a lever as a club way before Id bolt a bayo on to it

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Bayonets being primarily useful for controlling crowds, prisoners and body checks, handguards probably aren't needed. In a active firefight, with a hot barrel, to use the weapon in close defense clubbing and bayonet mounted, a handguard is designed into military guns for this reason, otherwise the hands are badly burned. Bayonets also usually, some times dramatically effect the rifles zero, best to leave them off till needed.

Sounds like a useful idea, but being looking for handguards as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting idea. Having a few WWI and WWII rifles, all which have bayonets :), I think I would safely say that they are extremely intimidating when at the wrong end; but I do think it is all in the mind. A foot long (or longer) bayonet is just going to turn a nice little carbine into some thing that's a pain to handle. I think in Zombie A I would have a classic Machete as backup after my pistol and Marlin had run dry; not even think about sticking my Marlin near anything nasty.

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
I have needed one in the past when I had a doe pop-up just to my right about 3 feet away when I was sitting in a bush. I could have easily taken it with a bayonet..................beleive me at the time I was thinking hard of how to attach one. It has happened to me more than once so I am interested in this thread

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmm an SKS bayonet sounds like an interesting possibility. Always there, but out of the way....interesting. I was originally thinking along the lines of something like the mount for a trench shotgun or something along the the lines of a M-16 bayonet that would be easy to attach and detach. Not so sure I'd want to use my Marlin as a club......I think I'd rather Jabby-jab-jab, than smashy-smash-smash. As a club you'd have a pretty good chance to totally mess up your rifle to the point of not being able to use it again. With a bayonet you'd only have a little blood on the end of your bayonet and possibly the rifle barrel which a lot easier to clean off than straightening and bent barrel or broken stock. Just saying.

Having been seriously gored by a domestic boar I sure as hell wouldn't approach a wild one without several levels of back up and a bayonet would only be one of them. Those suckers are hard to put down!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts