Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My specialty is Sturdy Stuff. It started as a kid with Treehouses and Forts, usually made with purloined 2X4's and scraps of plywood. Later on it morphed into tables and shelving. I'm no finish carpenter, more of a 2X10 and stove-bolts kind of guy. But I've managed to put together a few things I'm fairly proud of.

Several stepstools, for me and my shorter relatives........

Numerous workbenches, all pretty much built from the same pattern...............

Cartridge display racks............

Big honkin' shelves for the altar, capable of holding 800+ pounds of bullets and stuff...........

Loaded ammo storage..............

And then suddenly I became a Grandpa, and my priorities shifted!

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Practical ... that's what we are PJ. I like all of your stuff and if I may choose favorites, they would be the stepstool and the quackers. I bet your grandkids love 'em.

Good work my man ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Good stuff there papajohn, strong and well thought out and very functional. That is kind of my style as well! I admire people with the patience and craftsmanship who make flawless cabinetry with dovetails and the like, but I just can't do it, and I have tried too! I quit in frustration. :p Some think building a timber frame or otherwise doing joinery with beams would take skill like a cabinet maker but it isn't true. The tolerances are not nearly so unforgiving with beams!

Thanks for sharing.. :)

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Very good work PJ, Now when I grow up. I want to be just like you ;D All jokes aside, that looks well made and very useful.
Gunrunner,,

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gunrunner said:
Now when I grow up. I want to be just like you ;D
If you grow up............then you won't be like me at all! ;)

But thanks for the kind words, Randy.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi PJ,
Your work is great too, just wrap them up and I will take 'em. Love the ducks, those who know me will understand.
Again great work.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Here`s my room 12x24 benches are like PJ`s made of 1 7/8 in. solid oak door covered with real short pile kitchen carpet , except for the shotgun loader bench... left the carpet off that 1 .... All cliement controled , with a sep. auto~dehumidfirer.... As PJ said , ya never get enough shelving for all your stuff.... I`m fixing to put up more on the other two walls oppsent the main 12 ft. wide bench......Magnum6

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hey PJ,
My wife loves the ducks and would love to have one for our grandson, any chance of emailing plans.
Graeme.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
papajohn said:
My specialty is Sturdy Stuff. It started as a kid with Treehouses and Forts, usually made with purloined 2X4's and scraps of plywood. Later on it morphed into tables and shelving. I'm no finish carpenter, more of a 2X10 and stove-bolts kind of guy. But I've managed to put together a few things I'm fairly proud of.

Several stepstools, for me and my shorter relatives........

Numerous workbenches, all pretty much built from the same pattern...............

Cartridge display racks............

Big honkin' shelves for the altar, capable of holding 800+ pounds of bullets and stuff...........

Loaded ammo storage..............

And then suddenly I became a Grandpa, and my priorities shifted!

I Agree PJ , Sturdy Stuff And your own Design to fit your need`s . You can`t " , buy stuff like that , so we build our own set ~up , same reason`s we reload . Very Nice Set Up PJ.... Very Well Organized and Clean" work Area , That`s Very Inportant" in a reloading area for a LOTA Reasons . I never did like a trashed up work area . Great Job" PJ....... Magnum6

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I really like that loading bench! That is a layout that seems highly conducive to spending rainy days cranking out high grade ammunition. I am getting weary of operating in a shoe box literally with my little Lee hand press and stuff stored wherever I can find room. Until I get a place of my own it is how it will be.. Remodeling the house you are living in sucks! :p Someday I will have a man cave all my own! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
eaglesnest said:
Good stuff there papajohn, strong and well thought out and very functional. That is kind of my style as well! I admire people with the patience and craftsmanship who make flawless cabinetry with dovetails and the like, but I just can't do it, and I have tried too! I quit in frustration. :p Some think building a timber frame or otherwise doing joinery with beams would take skill like a cabinet maker but it isn't true. The tolerances are not nearly so unforgiving with beams!

Thanks for sharing.. :)
But what you're doing will get the heart rate up Eaglesnest. And I don't mean from the view. On some days yours is a project with arobic benefits, kinda like packing concrete forms or hefting logs into place for a gin-pole hoist.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
PJ... I need one of those stools right now for two grandaughters who need that little extra to reach the bathroom tap. I like the design, might have to start looking for some scrap in the garage and produce something like it. Looks sturdy enough to hold me AND the grandkids.

Also, I really like the functionality of your loading area. Have to give that one some consideration. I've been having as much fun getting set-up the way I want as I am with shooting and producing the few rounds I've made to date. Your horseshoe layout is perfect.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moofy07 said:
My wife loves the ducks and would love to have one for our grandson, any chance of emailing plans.
Graeme, I've love to send you plans...........but there aren't any. I made the whole thing up, based on something I'd seen 35 years ago. I just went out and started buying parts. Wheels, dowel rod that fit the holes to serve as axles, the bodies were cut out of 1 X 6's on a band saw. I didn't have a pattern, I just scribbled out an outline until it looked right, and started cutting. Same for the paint schemes, I made them up as I went along. The hardest part was finding sheet rubber for the feet, I wound up with a hunk of inner tube, but it took three days to hunt it down. I can send you some if you need it! :D

SgtDog, thanks for the kind words, I stole the pattern for the stool out of a book, it's a wonderful design, and plenty sturdy.

As for the reloading setup, I spent a year figuring out how to maximize the utility of the 8X3 foot P-lam door I had coming, and once it arrived I wasted little time cutting it up and getting the new u-shaped workspace set up. It ate up a lot of my living room, so I modified it a couple months ago, now I wish I had that extra leg back, I keep adding more equipment!

We've had a few threads about reloading benches, a great place to look for new ideas. Here's a couple.............

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,32718.150.html
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,57580.0.html

Then there's this one, the lengthy saga involving my building of my happy place, better known officially as "The Altar of St Ballistica". ;D

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,46570.0.html

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi PJ,
Thanks just the same, I will keep the rubber in mind though.
Thanks again.
Graeme.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Great Ideas at your personal link PJ... gonna keep an eye out on craigslist for some solid core doors now. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
SgtDog..... A ggod place to look for ya some Real Good 1 7/8`s thick oak doors , is where ever there remodeling one of them High $ Lawyers offices , like in one of those down town Dallas High Rize office Building`s . The Sky is the limit for them ole boy`s , if you get my drift . I do Pest Control Service Work in such places and see them remodeling those Large" offices all the time , and if you`ll just keep and eye out on those Dock area`s , or they May have a Large trash dumpster sitting there on the street , and you`ll see them Trash A WHOLE LOTA stuff like that here and there in those Large down town areas . Those doors are usewelly Long And Wide Also.... Some With Smooth pannels and some with raised pannels . Last time I picked up some was about 10 years ago , and I simply stoped and asked the Gaurd Dock , If I could have some of them 75 or a 100 of them laying there on the ground" , and he said Sure".... Help your self" .... There throwing all that stuf away in that hopper and on the ground ..... Be my Guest .... but there might Heavy" so be careful . So I said Thanks and went home and got my 3/4 ton pickup and went back there and loaded up 10" that looked New" , of them for my own use.... Mine are 5 Ft Wide and 9 ft ft. long . I still have 3 .... And No there not for sale" , before anybody ask`s sorry :) . But like I say that`s your Best" bet for BIG" Free one`s anyhow..... Magnum6

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Thanks Magnum... I'll keep my eye out. I drive down town here and I'll start watching for big projects underway. Good Tip!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts