Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do!! Can I just use those 325 grain bullets in my regular brass? I really do not want to reset my seating/crimping die as it is PERFECT now for my regular loads. Also can I just leave the die alone and load the 325's in the hornady brass? I am so discombobulated with this stuff maybe I should just sell
it!!:hmmmm:HELP I did search for old threads but did not find anything.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I'm with with you. As a newby I read how great the LE were and hadn't read enough to have a broad view. I bought Hornady factory LE rounds and bullets, thinking I'd shoot em up and then start reloading them. Now I have a lot of Hornaday brass and don't even shoot jacketed anymore. I like to seat out long as possible and the Hornady short brass makes that problematic.

I will say that if I were shooting jacketed still they are accurate in every caliber I've tried them in. I think the 'short' brass is not an issue in every caliber if I remember correctly. But in the 45-70 I've got an ammo box with fifty factory rounds and fifty empty brass that are growing spider webs on them as virtually all my reloads are bullets I cast being seated in starline these days.

Shooting those 45-70s in the the 2000fps is teeth jarring compared to my current 45-70 preference.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I purchased 500 rounds of the LE bullets when I first got my 45-70 I shot through about 150 to 200 and sold off the rest and started casting my own... I still have 100 to 150 LE brass sitting on the shelf that I never use, Maybe I will find someone to trade normal brass for it someday...

Doc

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Send all those unwanted LE brass and projectiles my way. The short brass deal is aggravating but boy do they shoot good.

Hornady ftx's calls for shorter brass in all straight wall cases I know but I'm not sure about the others.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russ what is a solution? Can I use the FTX bullets in my regular brass? If so I will surely send you my brass but would like to use the bullets.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I have not tried loading them in regular brass. I keep the hornady brass separated from the others and only use their short brass for ftx's.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
They wont work in regular brass, They were made for the Hornady short stuff.... If you want to reload the LE bullets then you will need the Hornady brass and the Hornady dies that are cut to work with the short brass.

Doc

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have 2 dye sets an RCBS for normal 45-70 and a Hornady set for the short brass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is the die part number for the short Hornady brass? Thanks!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wait.... The Hornady die set will only do the shortened brass? Can it be set for the std longer brass ? I like the hornady dies and have a Hornady press

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
News to me THORN74. Can't believe you couldn't adjust your way out of that. But I'm a bad test case. I went straight from FTX to larger lead bullets so bought an RCBS Cowboy set and have never tried my Hornady dies with other jacketed bullets. I'd still be baffled though if that were true. Not doubting anybody else's experience just saying it would sure be an unpleasant surprise were I to be giving them a shot with another bullet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I load fxt in hornady short brass in my rcbs cowboy dies with no problems and so far I can not find any other load cast or jacketed that shoots as accurate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I load the ftx in regular rcbc dies and have had no problems. but you do need to use the shorter brass for a lever action. a ruger #1 or bolt action and you can use the ftx bullets with full length brass.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've loaded regular brass with my Hornady dies and a friend uses the Hornady brass with his RCBS dies. So I guess you can adjust the dies to load either. I have 0 experience with the FTX bullets.

Mop

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's what I found out from Hornady, RCBS, Lee, tech. support:
Hornady dies will work (crimping is the issue with other brands) with standard length brass and will work with the shortened leverevolution brass or any shortened brass.
RCBS dies will not adjust down far enough to crimp.
Lee factory crimp die will not adjust down enough either. I was going to go with the Lee, but they said I would need to pay $15 plus shipping both ways to shorten it.
I ended up getting the Redding Profile Crimp Die which was made especially to accommodate the FTX bullet/shortened brass. I just use my RCBS to do everything except the crimp.
Redding Introduces New Profile Crimp Die for 45-70 FTX Cases | OutdoorHub

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Im currently reloading the FTX for my 45 70. At first it sucked! It takes a little massaging to get everything set up correctly,(bullet seet and [email protected] same time) but its worth it. My GS loves this stuff! So who am I to tell the ol girl no...........

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!! My solution is to get another lee turret plate and another seating die. My current die is set for my regular brass and the crimp is so beautiful I will not move it. When I get the new die and turret and mess around with it I will post my outcome and some pics if I can figure out how. All my kids grown up and I am technologically challenged!! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I have RCBS and Lee dies But I sent the Lee Factory Crimp Die I had back to Lee precision with a Rem. case trim 2.065" "shorty length" a HDY. 265 gr. bullet with a letter and $25 + $4. shipment back to me. Works great but the next time I decide to load FTX bullets I'll try the HDY"s 225 gr. meant for the 44 mag.... There is a MO member whom live in the UK says he loads them in STD. Rem. cases no problem. If it wasn't already mention the shorter case use for the 265 gr FTX is because of its ogive and longer length. The HDY. 225 gr. FTX bullet is shorter than the 265 gr. FTX and if it cycles and doesn't touch the rifling why not give it a shot.
T:hmmmm: NY
PS. Sorry I got carried away. But I suppose you can do the same with the 45-70 LFC die as I did.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts