Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some one gave my hunting buddy some wild rice seed. We decided that we would plant it in the marsh to see if it would grow and produce some legal forage in our favorite duck hunting property. It was summer time and the water was low with plenty of shore line exposed. We got one of those bag seeders that you hang around your neck and a couple of bags of 10-10-10 fertilizer. We used a 11 ft. john boat propelled by yours truly with a shove pole. I always preferred poling a boat backwards with me standing on the bow cap or in this case the front seat. Generally I would distribute most of the boats contents in the middle or front of the boat. Most boats reduce in width towards the front of a boat and with the contents moved forward it causes the stern to raise out of the water and has a smaller part of the boat in the water that way. Being in the front shoving the boat with a sixteen foot pole allowed me more control left and right easier because the boat was narrower up there.
Now picture this in your mind as I try to tell what happened. I hope I can describe this because seeing it would have been much funnier. My 8 year old son was sitting on the middle seat. My buddy was standing in the very rear compartment of the boat. This is were the gas tank sits. There was no motor on the boat. My buddy had an over sized pair of knee boots on so he had very little wiggle room from heel to toe in that compartment he was standing in. As we began our little journey threw this marsh my buddy had the seeder bag full of the wild rice seed slung over his shoulder and was spreading it on both side of the bank as I poled us through this little winding creek. We got about 150 yards back into this creek before running completely out of seed. This was working perfectly. On our return trip He had loaded up with a full bag of fertilizer.The fertilizer was much heavier. The water was only about 5 inches deep in the middle of the creek. I was trying to keep the boat moving at a constant speed to ensure an even dispersal of the fertilizer. I noticed some stumps ahead sticking out of the water and warned my buddy to watch out brace his self by cause I knew we were going to hit them.
When we collided with the stumps he was able to keep his balance, but then the 30 lbs or more bag of fertilizer kept swinging away from his body. Its like he leaned straight forward at a 45 degree angle then his feet went straight up in the air like someone standing on their head. Down he went head first into the shallow water. The problem was the bottom was very silty and he just kept going down maybe about to his waist in the mud. Every once in a while I would see his elbows come out of the water, first one then the other. He was trying to push his head and chest free of the mud. Hears the funny part. Imagine someone standing on their head then letting their legs and feet fall back against their bottom. As he did this he began kicking short little kicks which only propelled him deeper into the mud. My son looked over the side and busted out laughing. I fell into the bottom of the boat laughing. Neither of us could help him. He was on his own. I was laughing so hard and rolling in the bottom of the boat that tears were running out of my eyes. I didn't see him come up and He was plenty MAD. He was spitting out mud covered in alge and missing a very exspensive set of Oakley sunglasses. He began cursing us and said he could of drowned. My son was still laughing and told him but you should have seen your feet. He got so mad that he turned us and the boat over. I couldn't help it, that was one of the funniest things I ever saw. My son still displays his actions while retelling the story of Jimmy almost drowning in 5 inches of water.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Enjoyed the story. We had a Jimmy in our past as youngsters and if we had written down everything "Jimmy Wayne" did we'd probably have a best seller with Hollyweird tryin to buy the movie rights.

Thanks for the story.

Mop

1 - 4 of 4 Posts