Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was resizing my brand new Hornady 338ME cases that I got from midway the other day with my new Hornaday Custom Grade new dimension Dies, any way the 9th one got stuck, Ripped the rim right off! I thought I read the carbide dies didn't need lube boy was I wrong, anyway It's stuck good! I thought about heeting up the die but I thought I had better ask the pro's here first so I didn't screw something up!!!! anyway I got eight fo them resized, ??? Dennis

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
you have to use lube on rifle cases. you will need to send the die back to Hornady and have it removed. In the future I would the Hornady one shot spray case lube. I had to send back a die a few years ago to have a case removed. I didn't have enough lube on the case. I had tried a cheaper spray lube and that is what I got for it....you are not the only one to have gotten a case stuck in a resizing die. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Every who reloads has had this happen. No big deal. What I use are
13/64 " drill bit
1/4" tap
1/4" bolt
1/2"x3/8" socket
washer to go under bolt

Drill & tap primer pocket=put on socket=bolt thru washer=thread into primer pocket=tighten bolt & case comes out=finished
Hope this helps.
V65Magna

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V65Magna! I just got off the phone with an old buddy and thats just what He said! Thanks. Dennis

·
Registered
274 Posts
stykbow57 said:
I was resizing my brand new Hornady 338ME cases that I got from midway the other day with my new Hornaday Custom Grade new dimension Dies, any way the 9th one got stuck, Ripped the rim right off! I http://thought I read the carbide dies didn't need lube boy was I wrong, anyway It's stuck good! I thought about heeting up the die but I thought I had better ask the pro's here first so I didn't screw something up!!!! anyway I got eight fo them resized, ??? Dennis
you dont need lube on pistol ammo because the cases are so short ,i have a rcbs sizing die in30-06 i need to send out one of these days

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't get the socket at first but now I do we used a peace of 3/4 pipe instead but the socket would have been easyer instead of cuting the pipe! Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Make sure you use lube from now on!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Even using lube, I stuck several cases in my Hornady dies before they finally "broke in". The ones I've got had to be polished with a shotgun brush wrapped with 0000-steel wool soaked with Semi-chrome polish before they quit "sticking" the cases. I just thought that it was "me".

This is the only set of Hornady dies I own. They will be the last. I've got Redding, RCBS, and mostly Lee. Never had this problem except with a set of Lee .223 dies, but then, it's cause I occasionly don't get enought lube on the cases and the .223 rims are just so thin..... But the Lee's are much easier to get a stuck case out of........ Just remove the friction nut and whack the decapper rod with a hammer....... I broke the decapper on my Hornady on the first stuck case.........Hornady SOLD me another, however........!
Lee just sends you another one, or at least used too.......

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
I use Hornady dies for handgun and rifle and had one rifle stuck case due to using a cheap spray lube. Since then I've used the one-shot spray I haven't had any other problems. I don't use lube on the pistol dies and they have worked great. I did buy a Hornady stuck case remover for future issues. It's gunna happen again, folks make mistakes!

To date all of my reloaded cartridges are straight cases (44, 45 Colt, 444, 45/70, 450) so I don't have any history with necked down cases.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I will also say that my 338 dies are the only set of Hornady dies I own. I didn't buy them, they came with the rifle. I really don't like them and I probably won't buy another set.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Halwg said:
I will also say that my 338 dies are the only set of Hornady dies I own. I didn't buy them, they came with the rifle. I really don't like them and I probably won't buy another set.
Shoot me a fair price and I'll take them off your hands. Heck, if you need to order another brand, I'll wait until you get them...

-chris

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you use Hornady One Shot, be sure to read and follow the directions to the letter, or you will have a stuck case! I use Imperial Sizing Wax, Dillon lube and lee lube. Imperial is the most economical as you use very little, and small can lasts forever. Dillon spray lube is one of the easiest and fastest to use, and is a little messy. Lee works well and is very inexpensive.

Gary

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
stykbow57 said:
I thought I read the carbide dies didn't need lube boy was I wrong,
You are correct, the carbide pistol dies do not need lube. Your Hornady rifle dies for your .338 are NOT carbide, ergo the need for lube.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Rims pulling off the 338 MX is just going to be a fact of the reloading life. If you haven't it yet, you will. See this post:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,81506.msg768706.html#msg768706

RCBS stuck case remove does a fine job. Case life of both the 338MX and 450 Marlin are dictated on how many pressure cycles the rim can stand. That silly little bit of difference in how thin the rim is makes a big difference in longevity.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I realize I may catch hell for this.
But carbide or no carbide,. I (and everybody I know) always lube all may cases...pistol OR rifle.....all the time. No exceptions.
The difference in pressure required to size a case (lubed vs. non lubed) should tell you that information.

I only recall about 2 stuck cases in my life. They were both rifle, and I used a tap and die set to get each them out. no problem. I haven't had one in a few years. I can't remember for sure, but I believe one stuck case was because I had grabbed the wrong shell holder, and the other was a military case that was soooo thick it was stuck even before it went the full length into the die...I realized afterward I should have thrown it out after getting it part way in and feeling how hard it was to force through.

I have heard of such a thing as a 'stuck case remover". Though i don't know what it is. maybe someone else here has or will post on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts