Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a follow-up post on "lever-action trouble". The same thing happened again when I was shooting today, the lever getting stuck down again. I took a close look and what I saw was that the cartridge lifter would be stuck under the casing of the next round in the magazine tube, causing it to jam. Is the round sticking out to far when it shouldn't be or is it something else? Anyone know how to fix it?

G

·
Cal,

wish I could see a picture of this. do you mean that the round isn't coming completely clear of the magazine, that it's half way out, or something like that?

if so, check the magazine spring, is it broken or damaged?

the other thing is the screw that goes thru the bottom of the receiver, sometines people get the wrong screw in there. it should not protrude into the magazine area. I got a good deal on a 1895 that had this problem; easy to fix by getting the correct screw or shortening the existing one. no more hang-ups!

Hope this helps

Grizz

·
Registered
175 Posts
Grizz_ said:
Cal, do you mean that the round isn't coming completely clear of the magazine, that it's half way out, or something like that?
No, no...I think he means that the round that is supposed to be chambered is in position on the lifter as it should be and it is the next round [in the mag. tube] that the lifter is getting hung-up on.

G

·
Ringo & Cal,

that's why a pic would be useful. if this is correct, then the cartridge stop on the bottom of the tang has been filed TOO short. it's the annoying sharp little tang that protrudes from the bottom of the receiver. its purpose is to prevent the rounds from coming out of the tube when the lifter is lifting.

if this is the case it will have to be repaired or replaced. I'd hope marlin would replace it for free if they knew the gun is jamming for that reason.

it kind of sounds like the whole action is not timed right somehow. did someone try to "improve it"?

You can dry cycle the action and see if the stop lifts above the top of the feed tube.

Does this help?

Grizz

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remove the trigger plate and lever. Look at the bottom of the cartridge lifter. if it has a bright spot worn into the bottom where it contacts the lever, it will need replacement, and the sharp contact on the lever smoothes out and polished, It is also possible to bend the lifter very slightly up. It sounds like the contact point on the lever is peening a groove in the lifter.

Lee L.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
M1894 said:
Remove the trigger plate and lever. Look at the bottom of the cartridge lifter. if it has a bright spot worn into the bottom where it contacts the lever, it will need replacement, and the sharp contact on the lever smoothes out and polished, It is also possible to bend the lifter very slightly up. It sounds like the contact point on the lever is peening a groove in the lifter.

Lee L.
Isnt that what they call the Marlin jam? I think theres a post about it in that forum at the bottom, I forget whats its called.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=490 Dont know if this link works, but its to the "Marlin jam" post in the forum called reference material.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's what it's called. I used to build them up with hard surfaceing rod, then recontour them. Haven't done one in years tho.

Lee L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great tips.

Ringo, what you wrote was right. After I eject the spent cartridge, the next round comes out of the magazine tube just fine. The next round, however comes out just a little bit and rests on top of the end of the cartridge lifter, making it impossible to chamber the round without pushing the next round back into the magazine tube with my finger. This does not happen every time, but it happens a lot. It only happens when there are rounds in the magazine tube.

Grizz, I don't think anybody tried to "improve" it because I bought it brand new just a couple of weeks ago. I dry cycled it and the cartridge stop does seem to be long enough.

Leverdude, I checked out the link you gave, and it seems like that might be whats wrong with my gun. I'm thinking of taking it back to the gunsmith I bought it from to get it fixed. If all goes well I'll be sure to post what was wrong with it.

Cal

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Cal,

If you bought it brand new this shouldnt be happening. I'v had a bunch of Marlins thru the years & only one, a 1894c I believe it was developed it. Its a wear & tear issue & while it certainly pays to follow the info provided in that link as a preventative measure a new gun should not get stuck like that.

Theres a screw on the bottom up by the foreend & I'v been told if its loose sometimes it'll jam things up. Dont have a gun in my hands now so I cant check but I believe it was on this board I heard it.

Marlins got very good cust service & if you could live without your gun for 2 or 3 weeks I'd say send it back. I myself would probably either fix it myself or give it to my smith as I get real short of breath & have hot flashes when I send my guns away. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts