Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the gun that got a new barrel from a Marlin 880SQ. That "mod" really brought the accuracy back. Although I probably never needed to replace the barrel, I truly appreciate the extra weight and accuracy.

The stripper is doing its thing while I practice drinking beer (get your mind out of the gutter. This stripper doesn't leave glitter all over the place). In half an hour I'll wipe the Citristrip off and rinse the stock thoroughly.

I got some Minwax Red Mahogany, Pre-Stain and satin polyurethane to finish with. The Red Mahogany may give it a slight magenta or purplish look but the other stains seemed too brown. Brown is what I started with and I wasn't too excited about it.

Here's where I'm starting...

Stain on and assembled:

20161018_204606.jpg 20161018_204700.jpg 20161018_204834.jpg 20161018_204856.jpg

Hardware removed:

20161018_205821.jpg

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Citristrip doing its thing:

20161018_211725.jpg

After wiping it off (45 minutes) there was a bit of residue, so I reapplied and will give it overnight to kick some varnish butt.

In the morning I'll steam the stain out of the wood and go over it with acetone to clean/strip/dry the remaining varnish. After that I'll sand and dry the wood before the pre-stain/re-stain process.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the wood looks :) It'll finally be as pretty as it shoots :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Round two...

20161019_005913.jpg 20161019_005926.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
I refinished my 25N this summer. It's gorgeous. I'm sure you love yours too when it's finished.

Reactions: JetBlack

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the final rinse before final sanding:

20161019_175136.jpg 20161019_175155.jpg

As usual, I have no idea why Marlin would perpetrate their brown stain on such lovely wood. This wood is still wet, but look at that grain! Why dye it a uniform, featureless tone, on purpose?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I refinished my 25N this summer. It's gorgeous. I'm sure you love yours too when it's finished.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with the new stain colors :)

Reactions: sullivan

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I washed it in mineral spirits and dried it overnight (in front of a fan).

Doused it in pre-stain, waited ten minutes and stained it with Minwax Red Mahogany which has a noticeable magenta tint to it.

Two coats of that brought out some color, but I'm not sure about how saturated it looks. There isn't a lot of grain. Certainly not as much as was visible with no stain :-(

Does anyone know if Tru-Oil will bring out the grain better? I'm a little worried about sealing it up looking little better than it did before.

20161020_153030.jpg 20161020_203054.jpg 20161020_203155.jpg 20161020_203226.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Isn't there something called grain filler that's supposed to accentuate the grain? Or maybe it's called sanding sealer?

I'm kind of confused by the whole process and could easily be 100% wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I refinished a 25N and my Glenfield 25 both with the Minwax Red Mahogany stain. I simply sanded my stocks to bare wood, wiped the dust off and stained them. No pre-stain used. Topped it all off with a satin urethane spray (marine grade).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grain filler is to fill in those little valleys but only if the wood has them. Woods differ much on that. It creates an even surface more like glass. There are different colors including clear which I wish I knew when I used it once. Not needed IMHO on a gun stock. Sanding sealer is lacquer that has a thick result so it can then be sanded significantly and get the sealing done in less coats. Its not glossy so final coat(s) go on top of it. All my statements are from guitar finishing reading/work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone know if Tru-Oil will bring out the grain better?
Any finish will bring out the grain a bit, but the wood used (if not walnut) makes staining difficult - sometimes risky if the grain is such that "tiger stripes" emerge. But some people really like those, so each to their own. Tru-oil can be allowed to soak and then wiped off, sort of a more modern Lin-seed oil finish and really looks classy after several applications as long as its wiped off. But if not wiped off will give a polyurathane kind of finish. Might want to do a search on "refinishing" on this forum and you'll uncover a lot of experience from others.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does anyone know if Tru-Oil will bring out the grain better?
This is just straight Tru-Oil on my 25N after Citristrip after some steam/sanding. It certainly highlights the grain better than the factory finish.

20160624_190549.jpg 20160624_190557.jpg 20160624_190633.jpg 20160624_190807.jpg

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks amazing!

·
Registered
190 Posts
By sealing it and staining it you evened out the grain. That is the purpose of a sealer, to even out the stain so it doesn't soak in more where the grain is more porous. If you wet it with mineral spirits you should get a preview of what it will look like with a finish applied.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the mineral spirits certainly took a lot of the stain out but I think once it dries I'll Citristrip it back down, finish sand it and use TruOil. I like the grain and the stain is only covering it up :-(

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So mineral spirits lightens it up a lot but I soaked it in Citristrip for a day and a half (twice) and I think it's light enough to apply Tru-Oil. My little jar of it evaporated (jar and all presumably since I can't find it).

Here's how it looks now so I'm going to rinse the last of the Citristrip off of it and then seal it with Tru-Oil. I'll post pics probably Sunday evening if it dries quickly enough.

20161028_211740[1].jpg 20161028_211756[1].jpg

Reactions: Mike 2010

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should also add that Minwax is nearly impervious to Citristrip. There's no way the gun should have any stain left after that long wrapped in foil to keep the Citristrip wet and working.

This morning I sanded the stock with 2,000 grit to get rid of the fuzzies. It's soft and perfectly smooth. All the attention and time with the steam iron brought the whole stock back to brand new smoothness. Not a ding or dent anywhere! Maybe they'll show up after the Tru-Oil but I hope not :) If so, I won't die but it really looks nice now and I have high expectations :)

·
Registered
19,768 Posts
A few minor dings and dents also add a little character/personalization to the gun (especially if they're from you) so don't be too upset if a few show back up! Lookin' forward to the pics!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a timer set for 8PM which is when I'll start putting on a thin coat of Tru Oil. The stock is in front of a small fan to dry it as completely as possible :)

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Several coats of true oil, each followed up by 000 bronze wool, will gradually smooth it all out and really bring out the grain. Take each coat down until you do not see any shiny spots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts