Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Drinva, this is so true.
I've got all three. Ruger SR9 (striker), Bretta PX4 (DA/SA) very light trigger pull, and I carry a Kel Tec PF9 ( hammer DA only) a very heavy trigger pull. I feel very comfortable, with the heavy trigger, carrying one in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I carry a S&W 642 revolver every day. I mix it up occasionally with some vintage handguns from time to time. However, I still think my Glock striker fired pistol is the most reliable semi automatic I've ever owned or fired. It's gobbled up any ammo I've ever fed it. I cannot say the same for my Ruger, Kimber, and Colt 1911's. Possibly, my Belgium Hi - Powers from the 60's have been flawless, but they have not seen the round count of my Glock purchased in 2010.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
This is a unique discussion , at least to me................

I own two striker firearms, and I trust them both, but I trust NOTHING but a revolver for appendix carry...............

That said, I have yet to read about a Accidental Discharge with a striker type gun, and I've not heard of a AD with 1911 type hammer gun..............As long as the safety was applied, and the system was in spec...........Yes, safeties can get "wiped off" and the owner better know, and understand all of that!

It took me some time to trust my 1911's in a cocked and locked condition,They're Target guns with 3-3.5 lb no creep triggers, and it took me time to trust my striker guns with their heavier weight trigger blocking designs.............I actually had to disassemble them to understand their functionality.

I'm still NOT a fan of strikers as a target gun, or a field / hunting gun.................but I concede that the heavier triggers on the strikers are a safety and benefit in any Hi Stress situations...........

I carry a striker gun (Glock 43X) each day I work the Range........why?..........Because everyone else on the Range is armed with a firearm, AND I DON"T KNOW THEM!............... and the 43X carries "tight and light"...........

I'd never choose to use a striker gun for Target or Hunting , but I'll certainly train with one, and accept it as a reliable and safe defensive tool..........

Tom

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
The only accidental discharge resulting in serious injury was with a Glock. Guy was pulling it out to show it off to buddies and it went off and nailed one guys 15yr old son. Guy wasn't a newbie had been shooting for years.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My H&K VP9 has a light-ish but very crisp trigger with a very clean break, let off is short, and is easy to accurately double-tap. I probably couldn't win IPSC or IDPA with it, but I couldn't win IPSC or IDPA with anything. What I can do is consistently wear out the 10 ring before I put 2 mags-full through it.

I carried a Hi Power for a very long time and loved it until it was stolen. I replaced it with the HK and haven't looked back.

I carried a Sig P220 when I was a patrolman. Take up on the trigger pull was long, the break was good, but not as crisp as my HK. I usually shot 590-594 out of 600 with it when it was time to qualify, same with the Hi Power when I moved to investigations. I expect I could do the same with my HK, and with my wife's Walther PPQ M2. And with my old Glock 19.

As far as safeties...if the one between your ears isn't working, the mechanical one isn't much protection anyway.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Main carry is a Kahr P380 with a mag kit to add one additional round. 8 rounds in a firearm so small it fits in the palm of your hand.

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
There is a funny video on You Tube of one of their experts shooting himself in the leg with a Glock. He was doing one of those electric robot exercises so well liked by yuppie pistoleros. The one where you lean on target with your left hand and shot target with muzzel at hip high. I love idiots they are fun to watch. Guy probably would have managed to shoot himself with a hammer gun too. Some just don't know their limitations and would be safer carrying pepper spray. Although it might be a good tatic to shoot yourself while being attacked. Bad guy may figure you ain't worth a bullet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
When I was a young man there was a guy who worked in the downtown store where I lived at the time. He carried a 4" S&W Model 29 in an IWB rig. His load of choice was a full bore 44 magnum 180 grain hollow point. He decided to practice his fast draw one night after a number of beers and shot himself in the right butt cheek. The wound was pretty nasty. I think that sometimes people get too comfortable with their gun and forget that it will bite them if they forget the rules of safety.

·
Super Moderator
26,016 Posts
In my circle of family and friends the majority prefers DA/SA over S-F autos yet personal opinion and preference vary. With family members, being the senior fellow I'm asked a lot to weigh in. I carried a 1911 since the 70's and a number of years ago changed to DA/SA purchasing a PX4 full size. It has an excellent smooth trigger as well as the softest smoothest recoil impulse of any handgun I've fired. Compared to my CZ 75 C's polished trigger and slicked action, it's extremely more refined. I still love a 1911 but no longer for carry.

My grand daughters husbands have opposing preference between DA/SA and S-F autos and they always look to me for my thoughts. I tell them whatever firearm we choose, we should train well and often but unfortunately, we cannot simulate the adrenaline rush of a real life threat situation. When a life or death situation presents itself, we'll find out if we're all that.

I finally found a video to somewhat remove myself from their debate. This video covers everything I have many times and for any newbies viewing this thread, I thought I'd share it.

Jack

Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
There is a funny video on You Tube of one of their experts shooting himself in the leg with a Glock. He was doing one of those electric robot exercises so well liked by yuppie pistoleros. The one where you lean on target with your left hand and shot target with muzzel at hip high. I love idiots they are fun to watch. Guy probably would have managed to shoot himself with a hammer gun too. Some just don't know their limitations and would be safer carrying pepper spray. Although it might be a good tatic to shoot yourself while being attacked. Bad guy may figure you ain't worth a bullet.
It wasn't a Glock, it was a 1911 style with a hammer. Part of the reason I went with striker fired carry.

I have a Glock 30, also a carry gun. I replaced the trigger bar and have increased the trigger pull to feel like a revolver, about 10 pounds.

When your in an emergency situation, trigger pull poundage means nothing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can find the follow on video if you search for "Tex Grebner shoots himself into redemption". I am not including the link because the page and the video are not censored.

He says he was practicing the draw over and over again with his Glock and a retention, push button holster. Then he switched to his 1911 in a different holster. As he drew the 1911 it momentarily hung (?) up and he pushed with his index finger where the release button had been on the other holster. His finger slipped into the trigger guard and depressed the trigger. There are many lessons to learn from that incident.

I will mention that I am not a fan of the plastic, push button retention holsters for many reasons. Biggest among those are that most must be manipulated with the trigger finger and that they are mechanical holsters which are subject to mechanical failure. Yes, mechanical failure. For example, a few years back I watched as a frustrated CSO couldn't get his pistol out of the holster no matter how he tried. It turned out a screw had come loose and fallen out. He removed the magazine but the chamber still had one in it and he couldn't get the slide back. Worse, it was a striker fired pistol with no safety. It was a scary mess that he finally sorted out with a screwdriver and some help.

Again, just my 2 cents and worth what that will buy you.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
DA/SA pistols are just as safe as a double action revolver when in the DA mode. I have read many stories where the police had glocks or other SF pistols and unintentionally sent a round down range. I wouldn't want a nervous cop aiming a glock at me. A DA gun requires a intentional long pull to Send the first round down range. A cocked 1911 with safety off has a super light trigger also. However the added grip safety adds a lot of peace of mind when holstering if you understand what is going on. I would be scared to have a striker gun with no safety pointed at my crotch in any circumstance.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Tex Grebner has another video where he shoots a Marlin 336 in .30 WCF at the range he uses. From prone, he loads one round in the chamber, carefully lowers the hammer all the way down, then proceeds to fill the magazine. When he goes to take his first shot you can hear the two distinct clicks as he thumbs the hammer back, one past half-cock and one going into full cock. Which means he had the hammer down on a live primer/live round while he was filling the magazine and talking to the camera. I played it back and forth a few times to make sure I was seeing and hearing it correctly. I wrote in the comment section about this gross safety violation, and it was in the same time frame that he shot his own leg.

Anybody can make and post a video on YouTube. He can call himself an expert, and the unknowing or newbies will watch it and comment how great it all is. If you watch some of the shooting uploads, you'll see many dangerous safety violations. There's whole videos on idiots shooting themselves. And blowing up guns. Some people aren't all that smart or knowledgeable about firearms use.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Striker fired pistols have whats called a "striker block". This striker block (blocks the actual guns firing pin!) completely prevents any chance of any round ever being fired until the striker block is disengaged. This striker block is disengaged ONLY BY PULLING THE TRIGGER. EVERY striker fired gun is built this way. Meaning? ....the gun will NEVER FIRE EVER until you pull that trigger, PERIOD.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to completely disassemble their gun and understand how they work, if you are not comfortable with doing that, at the very least watch some youtube videos on your weapon and watch them being torn apart and put back. Great information on how your gun really works.

DR

·
Super Moderator
26,016 Posts
Striker fired pistols have whats called a "striker block". This striker block (blocks the actual guns firing pin!) completely prevents any chance of any round ever being fired until the striker block is disengaged. This striker block is disengaged ONLY BY PULLING THE TRIGGER. EVERY striker fired gun is built this way. Meaning? ....the gun will NEVER FIRE EVER until you pull that trigger, PERIOD.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to completely disassemble their gun and understand how they work, if you are not comfortable with doing that, at the very least watch some youtube videos on your weapon and watch them being torn apart and put back. Great information on how your gun really works.

DR

Well, I won't speak for other folks but for me, it's not a matter of how the gun works, I understand it well enough and most guns won't fire until the trigger is pulled. It's the light trigger pull compared to a DA/SA and I just don't care for a SF's trigger pull.

Jack

21 - 40 of 67 Posts