Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was walking a logging road one night calling for fox and coyote. About a half mile back in from the highway I stopped and stood quietly for a while, after 15min or so, just as I was about to begin calling, two balls of light apeared and kind of drifted through the trees for several seconds before disappearing. They were only 25 - 30yds from me and ten feet or so above the ground, about the size of a cantaloupe I'd say. As I was standing there creeped out and not believing my lying eyes, they appeared again slightly farther away and moving in the opposite direction closer to the ground this time. Again they disapeared. They didn't last long, but long enough to get a pretty good look at them. They appeared self luminesent, not like a light shining on something, and moved kind of like a balloon blowing in a breeze, but faster. That's the best way I can think of to describe them. Absolutely the most creeped out I've ever been in my life. It didn't take me near as long to walk out of those woods as it did to walk in. LOL. I grew up playing and hunting in those woods. Been out there many times in the dark. Never saw anything like it before or since. The only thing I've ever found that describes what I saw is, Will o' the wisp. From what I've read about that, it's supposed to happen in marshy areas. This was on a hardwood hilltop. No idea what it was, but I have no desire to see it again, at least not by myself in the dark woods. I get goose bumps everytime I think about it.

·
Registered
461 Posts

When I found the skull in the woods,the first thing I did was call the police.But then I got curious about it.
I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer ho

Jack Handey V/O:

Sorry just had to.

Bwaaahahahahahaha!!! ​Oh Boy!!! There's one in every crowd!!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
All kinds of things - trucks, graders, loaders, rails, drifts, headframes...but I prospect and explore old mines so none of that is particularly unexpected.

As far as truly strange things, I wasn't there for this particular incident, but it occurred on one of a series of SAR missions the organized militia I worked with in Missouri performed in the Mark Twain National Forest. My fiancee and about a half dozen others were searching the backcountry for an elderly Alzheimer's patient who walked out the back door of his home. They stumbled across a foul-smelling cooler and were concerned that it may have contained human remains. Upon opening it, it was found to contain what appeared to be a dead dog or coyote, in pieces, wrapped in tin foil. It had been there for some time based on the smell! This was at least a half mile from the nearest road.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Once when Quail hunting with my BIL in NE Oklahoma well off the beaten path and very remote country there was a big ravine and we stumbled off in it. The ravine was full of cedar tees and at the head of it there was a small trapper cabin with the roof fallen in, you could tell it had been there for a long time so we looked inside and there was a little pot bellied stove all rusted up and a bed fame with the old claw feet and several boxes strewed around in the litter. One of the boxes was full of envelopes underneath old folded newspapers so we read the mail of someone who hadn't been thee in years. I remember one of the letters was from his brother who wanted the owner of the cabin to send him money so he could get out of jail. All the envelopes had like 3 cent stamps on them. In one of the boxes there were 4 or 5 Kansas City Star newspapers dated 1929 and there were in surprisely good condition and under the newspapers was a Geography book dated 1897 in kinda a burlap cover with a picture of the world on the front
of it made by Rand and McNally and it said retail price fixed by law 81 cents on the cover, it was quite a large book maybe 12 inches long and 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. The pictues inside the book show steamships and horse drawn wagons and one of the pictures shows two eskimoes asleep inside a igloo and the caption under the picture says "Two Eskimoes Asleep." I kept the book and still have it and sometimes take it out and look at it, it has a census of the US in the back of the book and it says population of New York city 60,000 people. I have wondered all these years as to what happened to the guy who lived in the shack.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
We were fishing in Ontario at a fly in lake. Turned out to be a poor lake for fishing and we were dropped off there mainly so the plane could pick up a pair of bear hunters. After casting around for a day or two, we found a much better lake several portages and a long trek up a creek away from our drop off point. It took probably 2.5 hours to get there.

On the next to last day there, we got caught in a sudden thunderstorm and were soaked to the skin, and I developed a migraine. The temp was in the low 40s and we were more than 2 hours from our cabin. We were cold, shivering, and miserable.

Well, we found a cabin on the far lake, but it was locked up and we couldn't get in. I thought there had to be a key hidden somewhere nearby. After a search, I found it in the outhouse. We let ourselves in and made a fire in the wood stove. There was practically nothing in the cabin except some tea bags, but I made tea, we warmed up, dried our clothes, and took a nap. It made and enormous difference.

I left a note telling the story and expressing our gratitude, then returned the key to its spot in the outhouse.

It very well might have saved our lives.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I worked for a summer in the Missouri Ozarks as part of a team doing a survey of plants and during the course of summer we found a woman and a lost car.

We would head out in in teams of two as early in the morning as possible. One day my partner and I were on our way out when we met the first team headed back in...with a third person sitting between them in the truck. Supposedly this woman had fallen asleep behind a log and her "friends" had left her. Well they take her in to the Sheriff's office and one of her "friends" or family (I don't remember which now) eventually came and picked her up as she was from a town about 30mi away from where she was found. She wasn't able (or didn't really want) to provide a decent explanation how she wound up on the property we were working on.

We thought that would be the end of it but we weren't so lucky.

About a week later our supervisor asks us if we've seen a car while we were out working (Say What?). The woman's friends somehow got a vehicle stuck and abandoned it. These people thought they were on conservation department property adjacent to the area we were working but our supervisor asked us to keep a look out just in case.

At this point I should mention that there is a trail connection between the two properties but that there is also a locked gate that these people shouldn't have been able to get past, not with a 2 wheel drive car anyway. There is about a 20 mile difference between the entrances to the properties otherwise one enters from the west, the other from the south. Assuming that the gate wasn't left open for some reason (and as far as anyone could tell it hadn't been and no obvious indication they had driven through the woods around it either) there's a massive difference between entering one of the properties or another.

Another week goes by and we find the car.

It's at the very back of the property we're working, which isn't really a surprise that it took this long to find since we were doing the survey front to back. It's buried axle deep in gravel, at the bottom of a steep hill, where they had to descend an overgrown and rutted out trail. Looking through the windows it appears the back seat is full of paint cans. Given that we then suspected that they were doing a lot of huffing paint it seemed to largely explain why they had no idea where they were and why the woman couldn't give a good account of how she ended up where she was or how she got left behind.

There's still a lot unexplained though.

The woman was nowhere near where the car was stuck, and speaking of the car I don't have any idea how they got it as far back in that woods as they did. I looked at the hill they had to come down before it got stuck and while the CJ5 I was driving at the time could have gotten in and out of there it wouldn't have been what I call easy. I don't think I'll forget the look of "horror" on the face of the tow truck driver they hired to pull it out a week later when I explained to him where that car was. I hope he charged them a ton, though if he was smart he should have just told them to forget it and to get it out themselves. I never heard if they got it out but after speaking to the tow truck driver we, thankfully, never heard from them again.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was deer hunting in Missouri a few years back and I saw something shiny & red laying in the leaves. It was a balloon with a note attached to it in a plastic bag. A class in a school somewhere in Texas had released a bunch of these balloons to see how far they would go.

The note contained an email address to contact the senders. I tried to do this but the email address was no longer active.

DRSLYR
I found one of those once while in high-school.

I was out squirrel hunting on my property with my father. We found the balloon and note at the edge of a small field as we were heading back to the car to go home. I believe it was from a school somewhere in eastern Kansas but in any case we mailed the card back to the school with the information of how and where we had located it.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
About 50 years ago we were hiking way up in the West Virginia hills a bit of a drive from Parkersburg. Grandfather and I found an old cemetery. What I recall most is wondering how they managed to get the headstones that far up. The path was a single person wide deal. Some graves were sunken. It had been abandoned for years.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
About 1987 I was visiting a friend who is a Dominican priest. He was stationed at a convent near San Francisco. One night I was walking the property at dusk, went down a ravine and came up the other side. About 200 yards I saw the Virgin Mary hovering a few feet above the ground. I just kept thinking 'why the hell me', you can't run so I started walking toward her. I was getting close and freaking out every step. Then things cleared up. The statue was encased in thick hedge that grounds folk had kept trimmed. In the dusk and in the distance I had a few moments when I could not figure out what the marching orders would be. Herb laughed his head off and said that the amount of red tape on his end would have been incredible.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was up doing some grouse hunting/deer scouting in a canyon not far from here.
the access is totally on foot and you have to walk well over a mile before even getting to the fence line marking state land from the private property access so it's pretty isolated and un visited.
it's also pretty steep and over grown back in there with only one major trail, so you can imagine my surprise to find what I thought at first was some truck or heavy equipment parts on the side of a quite steep hillside.
I come home and done some investigating and found that a B-17 had crashed back there towards the end of WW-2 killing everyone on board.
I had found some of the pieces to the plane but didn't know it was there so never looked for the fuselage or anything.
Similar story... years ago (and many pounds ago) some friends and I were camping at the base of Mount San Gorgonio in SoCal anticipating the climb the next morning. Its a bit of a climb at 11,500ft but its doable in a day and all on marked trails. About the 9000ft mark we came across airplane wreckage - mainly just mangled aluminum but some parts being large enough to easily identify as an military airplane. In doing some research many years later I discovered that it was the wreckage of a B-25 flying from Texas to California in Feb of 1956 killing the 2 pilots and 2 airmen aboard. Most of the time after the reasons for the crash are determined, the wreckage just stays in place as it is unfeasible to pack it all out. It also serves as a marker for the untimely deaths of 4 US Servicemen.

TB-25 Mitchel plane crash on San Gorgonio Peak

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was walking a logging road one night calling for fox and coyote. About a half mile back in from the highway I stopped and stood quietly for a while, after 15min or so, just as I was about to begin calling, two balls of light apeared and kind of drifted through the trees for several seconds before disappearing. They were only 25 - 30yds from me and ten feet or so above the ground, about the size of a cantaloupe I'd say. As I was standing there creeped out and not believing my lying eyes, they appeared again slightly farther away and moving in the opposite direction closer to the ground this time. Again they disapeared. They didn't last long, but long enough to get a pretty good look at them. They appeared self luminesent, not like a light shining on something, and moved kind of like a balloon blowing in a breeze, but faster. That's the best way I can think of to describe them. Absolutely the most creeped out I've ever been in my life. It didn't take me near as long to walk out of those woods as it did to walk in. LOL. I grew up playing and hunting in those woods. Been out there many times in the dark. Never saw anything like it before or since. The only thing I've ever found that describes what I saw is, Will o' the wisp. From what I've read about that, it's supposed to happen in marshy areas. This was on a hardwood hilltop. No idea what it was, but I have no desire to see it again, at least not by myself in the dark woods. I get goose bumps everytime I think about it.
Ball Lightning aka St. Elmo's Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
About the mid seventies a couple of my grade school buddies lived up a canyon west of town, we spent a lot of time hiking and exploring the hills up there.

We came across the framework of an airplane that had obviously been there for many years. This was just the tube frame with out any fabric left.

I told my dad about it and he knew the story, as it turns out it was quite a scandal, a local businessman had gone up flying with a woman who was not his wife!

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
in 1989 hurricane Hugo hit Charleston SC, I was living there at the time. the day after a group of us got in my buddy's 19ft Grady white boat and took of to see the damage around the area and take photos. we saw a lot of things, we went across a sound and a ways from settled areas just cursing. we came to a small island and on the beach there was a white plastic outdoor chair. it was sitting upright and facing towards the sound like somebody placed it there to look over the water. there was no foot prints at all on the beach. it was obvious the wind or tide put it there miles from any homes,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
My wife and I were bow hunting in the Adirondacks about 35 years ago and a hound with a radio collar found us. Back when bear hunting with hounds was legal and we ended finding it’s owner. He said they started about 35 miles away but the bears weren’t treeing.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts