Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Marlin Levers but really like the the lever format. I picked up a used 336A on Gunbroker and when I picked it up I noticed a strange serial number that doesn't follow the normal format. It's 9820xxxxA anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
welcome to Marlin Owners. I think it means your rifle was manufactured in 2002. JD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This forum has great info on it the Manf Dat PDF had the info I needed unlike anywhere else I've searched.
the 98 is 2002. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
Greysmoke,

The 98---- indicates your rifle was manufactured in 2002.

The "A" as the last character indicates there was a duplicate serial number to your gun, and the "A" was added to your gun, to seperate the two numbers.
This is somewhat rare, but with older roll marking machine, the machine sometimes did not "auto-reset" itself............I've seen this happen more than once or twice, and the additional character is the way we handled the situation.
Does it make the gun more valuable ?................No, its just an anomaly in the serial number itself.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hi Greysmoke,

I have one similar to yours. Mine is a 35 cal. made in 1999. It also has an "A" suffix in the serial number. Winchester did the same thing on duplicate serial numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts