Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello folks. I'm new to the forum but not to life, shooting, guns, or fun. I will introduce myself in the proper place in just a few.
I have what folks my consider a strange question but here goes: Years ago as a kid, I received a Glenfield Model 75 in a trade for a Benjamin .22 pump pellet rifle ( I had two; one .177 and the .22).:biggrin: After I entered the Navy at 20 years old, I put her away and she has been carted around with me ever since. I never thought much of the condition or look of the 75 until recent changes in the laws and societies views. I retrieved her from the safe several years ago and realized that I have a problem. So back in she went and has been hidden ever since.

At some point before I got her, someone had taken about 3 inches off the butt stock and put the butt plate back on....very nicely too. The concern the rifle might be shorter than the required 26" is not a problem...it is OK in that regard. The issue is that said "someone" also shortened the barrel to just beyond the end of the end of the magazine tube. The front sight was replaced very well and the rifle shoot amazingly accurate. It still holds 9 rounds of .22lr but the barrel length is a hair under 12". :vollkommenauf:

I have what is I understand to be a SBR in NFA Class III law, and I do not have a stamp for it. Never was "registered" that I know of when purchased new and it was manufactured in 1970.
My question to you all is this: Is there anything that I can do to render it "legal" again? Will I have to destroy it? Can it be converted to a long barreled pistol by modifying the stock? Or am I stuck with an SBR that I, shall we say, have not the required authorization to possess?

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Interesting question. I have no idea but I'll be watching this thread because I'd like to know too. Welcome to MO.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Gun Guy,

Welcome to MO.

Do not believe that air rifles are subject to "Firearms" law?

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
What you have is very illegal. The remaining parts with the barrel gone will not get you into trouble..

Once built as a rifle, always a rifle. You can convert a Rifle to a Pistol. But you need to have prior approval before hand from the ATF and pay a 200.00 Tax. Not afterwards.

Barrel needs to be removed immediately and disposed of if you want to keep the rest and find another replacement barrel. Again what you have there is 20 years in Leavenworth..You cannot register it now after the fact..

Understand you cannot just remove the barrel and keep it. Barrel has to be completely gone from your possession if you choose to keep the reciever around..Good Luck

After you read my post, delete this thread asap and go hide in the barn..

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That would work too. But hurry before they kick your door in?

I will tell you a story about a short barrelled Shotgun. About three years ago when my youngest was about 12 years old he comes home from helping his Grandma and Grandpa clean out some old Buildings.

He brought home a Zippo Lighter, a knife and a swad off Shotgun. I was so very proud of him I was beeming. The Shotgun must have looked like a toy to his Grandpa. It was painted completely with Aluminum colored paint. They are not Firearms people anyway..

I did have to tell him that he will get 20 in Levenworth for that. Threw the barrel away and kept the rest..

·
Registered
390 Posts
As it exists right now its totally illegal. You have three choices, but take it apart first. One --Turn it in to be destroyed, which even transporting it assembled to be turned in is illegal. Two---destroy it yourself. Three ---- store disassembled and quickly apply for the stamp. All the info you need is on the ATF site so double check for any changes in the laws. As it stands you can not change a receiver originally produced as a rifle to a pistol. However the receiver was originally manufactured is how it remains classified until its destroyed which is where the tax stamp for special conditions comes in. But again, take it apart and store the sections in separate areas until you decide on which route to take.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Mark; You might want to go back & read the original post. It is a .22 Long rifle which he traded an airgun for. He may well have a problem. Regards,
-Len
Hey Len,

You are correct. (I "focused" on the Benjamin Air Rifle).

The barrel will need replaced. Numrich may have them.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Get rid of the short barrel,find a good used barrel and stock (Ebay,Gunbroker ect.)Shouldn't cost you more than $100.00 or so total.

There is a 75 barrel and outer tube on Gunbroker right now (Buy It Now) $35.00

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Simply take it to a gunsmith that threads barrels. Have him thread your barrel and install and weld a "bloop tube". It's just a length of steel pipe that will extend your barrel to greater than 16". He probably won't charge much.
Or have him re barrel it. You will likely need a set of go-no go gauges from brownells and maybe a chamber reamer. That's a lot of work and special tools for an old gun you can throw in the lake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SSM,
Yeah, as I figured. And since the 75 spent years in a case buried in attics and closets and under beds in various homes it was forgotten for a long time. When I purchased a new safe due to my increasing collection of handguns, I realized I still had it along with several collectors rifles from my wife's and my youth. I supposed I could try to find a replacement barrel and restore it to working condition...I have two others, one and 75 and another model 60, so it isn't like it holds any special meaning for me since it got it in a trade when I was about 14 or 15.
Anyone know where I could find a decent replacement barrel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input...any suggestions on a decent tacti-cool stock? Maybe I'll check the local smiths and have the barrel fitted with compensator or suppressor to make it legal and turn it into a fun shooter

Thanks again all....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.