Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did they make the 336C with a straight stock in 1977? My friend just called me and said a guy he works with has a straight stocked 336 made in 1977 chambered in 30-30 that was mint in every respect, looked unfired in my friends opinion and the guy wanted 450 dollars for the gun. I told him I would buy it if I was him. He wants a p-38 walther I have and we might get a trade working as I have been looking for a 30-30.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I have a 1979 Texan marked he same way--just Model 336. Marlin marked their Models 336s for a time without a model descriptor like--A/T/RC--etc.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did they make the 336C with a straight stock in 1977? My friend just called me and said a guy he works with has a straight stocked 336 made in 1977 chambered in 30-30 that was mint in every respect, looked unfired in my friends opinion and the guy wanted 450 dollars for the gun. I told him I would buy it if I was him. He wants a p-38 walther I have and we might get a trade working as I have been looking for a 30-30.
Not all Texan production runs had the "T" after the 336. My '71 doesn't. But if the condition is as stated, "mint in every respect", it is a steal at $450. No CS safety; 100% true to the original design. Some guys have all the luck.....

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Once in a while you see them, not often. If it has an original factory saddle ring more rare.

It is a Texan.

If you were lucky and was a 63 or 64 and had a 16 inch bbl that would be really nice aka Marauder.

I would tell your friend to offer him $375 and see if he can get it cheaper but $450 would still be okay for a mint Texan.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend has quite a nice collection of Smiths and some other nice guns including 3 marlin 30-30's and I told him he didn't really need another 30-30 and he agreed. I told him I would like to have it and I mentioned the P-38 and he got kinda excited and the last thing he said before we hung up was that he was going to see if he could get the gun a little cheaper so I need to hang loose and wait. Somehow or another I wound up with quite a bit of 30-30 bullets and brass and no 30-30. I have four 35 rems which is my favorite but everyone needs at least one 30-30 and some need more.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a good price for that rifle I would buy it and not look back!!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My 30-30 "T" is a 1978, but no T marking on the barrel. Has an 18 1/2" barrel. Took four years of waiting to find one, locally, but well worth it. Not a common 336 in our area. It's one of my favorite Marlins (okay, I say that about all our Marlins.). Super handling and sweet to carry and, of course, accurate. Hey, it's a Marlin! That's a reasonable price for one in that condition, too. I'd sure take a look.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
He don't buy I should give him an infraction. #1. Swany Rule. If it's a Texan discoverer must buy it or take another Marlin Owner member to buy it. ;)

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My fried called and was passing through town and wanted to drop by after he got his errands run and drink coffee. He said he had the Texan with him, sure enough it was just like he said it was--not a scratch,chip,blemish on it anywhere, it looked like it was just built, not bad for a 37 year old gun. The longer we talked we finally got around as to what he wanted and he told me he had picked the gun up from the guy who owned it and told him he would sell it for him. The price was still 450.00 so I bought it and gave him the money and then he saw the p-38 that I had about 150 in and I told him I would take 250 for the pistol so he gave me back 200 dollars. I am into the Texan for around 350 dollars. I am happy and my friend left happy. Good all around. I thought it had not been fired but when I looked down the barrel I could tell it had been fired. It looks like I dodged Swany's infraction.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
My fried called and was passing through town and wanted to drop by after he got his errands run and drink coffee. He said he had the Texan with him, sure enough it was just like he said it was--not a scratch,chip,blemish on it anywhere, it looked like it was just built, not bad for a 37 year old gun. The longer we talked we finally got around as to what he wanted and he told me he had picked the gun up from the guy who owned it and told him he would sell it for him. The price was still 450.00 so I bought it and gave him the money and then he saw the p-38 that I had about 150 in and I told him I would take 250 for the pistol so he gave me back 200 dollars. I am into the Texan for around 350 dollars. I am happy and my friend left happy. Good all around. I thought it had not been fired but when I looked down the barrel I could tell it had been fired. It looks like I dodged Swany's infraction.
Good man you dodged the bullet for now, but it will come back to bite you if you don't post pictures. Have a good and enjoy that Texan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 1975 Texan it's just marked 336 - I love that rifle not a tack driver but will take a deer out to 100yds without any trouble. I get 1.5~2 inch groups with remington 150 grain RN soft points.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Never saw a Texan marked with a "T". I have seven straight stocked Marlins. No "T" anywhere on the barrels. My '59 model is marked "RC", just like the pistol grip guns. The straight grip, trigger plate, and lever makes it a Texan. BTW, that one is almost mint. Remington should look at the metal finish. Some previous owner did true oil the stock. I'm not sure that hurts it, but it could loose the shine with a little rubbing with OOOO steel wool.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Congrats. You are now the proud owner of a 336T - always a bit tougher to find than the pistol grip versions - and a gun made when a Marlin was still a Marlin. Can't beat that and you got it for a good price.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
North country gal

It is a dead ringer for the picture you posted of yours except it has a 20 inch barrel and no recever sight, even the wood looks the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts