Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check in and say howdy. You've got a great here and a wealth of information. I see a number of familiar screen names from
Rimfirecentral.com. I registered a while back and never got around to posting.

My question is concerning mounting a Williams FP reciever sight on an older Marlin 39a Golden Mountie ( T-Prefix serial #, circa 1959) There seems to be dissagreement as to whether additional drilling & tapping is required based on yr/model for this particular rifle/sight combination. The left side of the reciever DOES have two small screws approx 1/2"-5/8" appart aprox 1 1/2" in front of the hammer and about 1/4th of the way down the reciever. These are estimates as I dont currentlyhave access to the rifle. I've had conflicting opinions as to whether additional drilling/tapping is required for this PARTICULAR rifle. any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :D
RonSC

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Those holes on the side of the reciever are the real deal for mounting a peep. Un tapped recievers are a fairly recent thing- 2004-5 would be when Marlin stopped d&t of the reciever side. Specify for the "older model" when you order.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Banned
843 Posts
Try to get a vintage Lyman or Redfield receiver sight for your vintage 39 Mountie. They match better. The Williams are good but they aren't sleek or blued steel, and are kinda big and funny looking imo.

..........................TM7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DocSharptail/TMC for the quick response. I had a friend who ordered a Williams FP for his 39a (identical rifle...'58 vintage) and had a heck of a time getting the correct model. Even after including required info about the rifle he had to exchange the sight TWICE before actually getting the correct one. I just wanted to avoid this from the Get-Go. If you have any specific Model #'s/codes for ANY of the suggested sights I'd be greatfull.

Thanks again
RonSC

·
Banned
843 Posts
You know Ron, Williams sight company does have a website. You can look up all kinds of stuff there.Easy to find on search engines. You can call them and even order direct from them. BTW, have you considered a nice Marbles tang sight for your 39a. Lyman still makes a steel receiver sight the 39a I believe. Williams are good sights though. My mountie came with an old lyman receiver sight on it, but be advised adding a receiver sight may necessitate changing the front sight to a higher sight. Not so with a tang sight, though as they have usually alot of up and down adjustment. The marbles tang sight has windage adjustment, too.

.......................TM7

·
Registered
201 Posts
RonSC

Get yourself a Lyman Model 66 and you will be happy!!

DG

·
Registered
425 Posts
39 -A Sight

Midsouth has the Lyman#66MC for $56.30. Have one on my 36-A. They have the best price that I found. Bob

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Smoke, glad to see that you're still above ground and kicking. Are you going to roam the tight aisles of the big gunshow on the 1st? Doesn't look like I will be able to make it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sarge

Yes I plan to go unless something happens I am not counting on.

DG

Sarge said:
Hey Smoke, glad to see that you're still above ground and kicking. Are you going to roam the tight aisles of the big gunshow on the 1st? Doesn't look like I will be able to make it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts