Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Which of the below .22s do you think is best?

• Marlin 1897 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchester 9422

• Browning BL-22

• Henry Golden Boy

• Henry Lever Action .22

• Mossberg 464

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into lever-action .22s among other things recently, and a couple--the Marlin 39/1897 and the Winchester 9422--really caught my eye. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the different lever-action .22s currently available (not including the Winchester).

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
That is a nice looking gun. I have been needing to get a 39, just have not yet. I really like the look of that strait grip. I looked at a 57 at Cabelas. I really want a 22mag. but that thing weighed a ton. It may be blastphemy I know, but I have been seriously considering one of the Henry 22mag levers. I still need a 39 though and did I mention, I really like the strait grip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That Winchester is a really smooth action gun. The one I have has a beautiful stock and I really like it. But I really love my Marlin Mountie and my 1897 model 22. Have to agree with Stubbfarmer though.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
MULEMAN said:
That is a nice looking gun. I have been needing to get a 39, just have not yet. I really like the look of that strait grip. I looked at a 57 at Cabelas. I really want a 22mag. but that thing weighed a ton. It may be blastphemy I know, but I have been seriously considering one of the Henry 22mag levers. I still need a 39 though and did I mention, I really like the strait grip.
You are right, Jamie. The 57M is quite beefy. But I like mine and it shoots really well. But I have had my eye out for a nice 39 with a 20" barrel and straight stock. Funny thing is, when I got my 39A in 1975, the dealer had both the 24" pistol grip and the 20" straight grip in stock. At that time I really liked the 39A with the longer barrel better. Now I wish I had gotten the 20" barrel. Oh well, now if I want one, I'll pay a premium and probably have to sell another gun to offset the cost.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stubbfarmer said:
You forgot the 1897 Cowboy. ;) My vote is for the Marlins. Not sure why anyone would say differently on a Marlin forum. :)
Honest mistake--I'm a Texan. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
It's a shame that Marlin lost this recipe. These straight stocked beauties are really something. If you watch any of the auction sites you will see that the prices they demand are incredible. I really would like a couple of them (prefer oak with checkering) but the prices are just crazy. The prices will just continue to rise. get em while you can. ::)

·
Registered
9,665 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whichever Marlin fits your personal flavor.

39M for me. 20 inch round barrel and action is smooth as butter. Skinner peep keeps the gun light and simple.

It just depends on if you want a round or octagon barrel and how long?

It doesn't matter what brand you get as long as it's a Marlin.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
My 39 carbine, duracoated and refinished but a joy to carry. Makes me smile every time I shoot it.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who's the heretic who voted for the Mossberg? ??? ::) I can understand people who vote for Henrys, but those Mossbergs...more expensive than Henrys, no walnut, not made in America...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Greenhorn,

Very nice 39 carbine. I don't see those very often. Based on the rounded lever I'd guess the date of manufacture around the late 60's. How long is the barrel. Thanks for adding one more gun to that ridiculously long list of "guns I'd like to own."

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
simangus said:
Greenhorn,

Very nice 39 carbine. I don't see those very often. Based on the rounded lever I'd guess the date of manufacture around the late 60's. How long is the barrel. Thanks for adding one more gun to that ridiculously long list of "guns I'd like to own."
its a 20" tapered barrel and a short magazine (12 LR). its a 1963 and since its a shooter now, I have no guilt crawling through the brush with it. I go back and forth with the skinner and the scope...had each on for a few months then switch to the other and after a few months back again. Just fun to shoot, so much fun that my 39A went to dad to use for a while.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tommie D said:
Really, I always thought that America was short for United States of America (USA)
My fault, I'm sorry. I just saw that 464s had the same sights as the Brazilian-made Plinksters, so I assumed they too were made in Brazil. Would you mind telling me how they're constructed? I haven't seen one anywhere.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm also interested in hearing about the Mossberg. Mainly, I want to know whether it's made with cheap metal like the
Henry. Anyone know? The website doesn't have any information about that (as far as I've found anyway).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts