Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had a LTD III stolen, along with all my other firearms. I Really enjoyed that rifle, and would like to find another. So far, I have not been able to do so at an affordable price.

So, my question is: Can a full length magazine tube be added to a Guide Gun or would I be better off having a CB cut down? I understand swapping the stock for a straight grip presents its own challenges too. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

I know that is some respects I am comparing apples and oranges with the round barrel vs octagonal. For me, the balance al look of a levergun is just not right without that full length tube.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!! :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your ltdIII.. :'(
Where it is a limited edition, maybe it would be easy to track??
I hope you see it again some day!!!

To answer your question about extending a mag tube on a guide gun!!!
Yes, it can easily be done!!!

I did mine on my 1895gs!!!
Ordered a mag tube from marlin for an 1895SBL, it only cost $33 plus shipping!!! This is the only part needed!!!
The original mounting post and tube spring can be used with the new extended tube!!!

You will then have to mill out a new 3/8" dovetail slot near the end of the barrel to relocate the mounting post for the end of the new tube!!!
A gunsmith might only charge you $35 to do it..

Then you will just need to fill in the old dovetail slot..
There are a few DIY options that are very cheap to do!!!

For a blued 1895G, I would recomend ordering a mag tube for an 1895GBL..
That model has an 18.5" barrel with a full length tube.

As for your pistol grip to straight conversion..
I'd suggest running an add in the trading post for an even trade swap..
Stock, lower tang, butt stock screw and lever.
Seems there's as many folks looking to convert there straights to pistol grips..

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, that was exactly what I wanted to know. So for about $100 I can do this.

I was under the impression that there was a lower receiver plate that I would need as well to make a straight grip conversion.

The rifle you have pictured is exactly what I would like to have in a blued version when I am done.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Yes, you will need to swap the lower part of the receiver also for the conversion.

If you're going to run an add for a swap, be sure to list everything needed for the conversion!!!

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Consider this with todays guns if you are handy with metal and woodworking, you can convert pistol grip to straigth without buying parts. The newer guns have the serial numbers on the side so cutting the triggerplate to straight is no big deal. Cutting a pistol grip stock to straight is also doable. Here is the same gun now a straight grip showing a before and after conversion without buying any parts. Just an option if you have the can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock issue I could do, the rest of it I would not want to tackle. I don't have much for metal working skills or tools.

Did you buy the lever or modify it as well?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
redman2006 said:
Recently I had a LTD III stolen, along with all my other firearms. I Really enjoyed that rifle, and would like to find another. So far, I have not been able to do so at an affordable price.

So, my question is: Can a full length magazine tube be added to a Guide Gun or would I be better off having a CB cut down? I understand swapping the stock for a straight grip presents its own challenges too. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

I am confused ??? I admit that happens sometimes with me! ;D But since the GS already has a straight grip, why would you need to swap stocks?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happens to me all the time too.

I would either swap a stock to get the straight grip on a full tube gun or extend the magazine on a straight grip gun.

What I want as an end result is a straight grip with a full length mag tube. Sorry if I confused you....I may have confused myself too.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
redman2006 said:
Did you buy the lever or modify it as well?
A buddy of mine and I modified it in his shop, it was the straight square lever..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts