Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about doing a straight grip conversion on my 1978 336. What are the benefits of doing such? I have a Rossi 92 in .45 colt and a Henry in .22.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Benefits of a straight grip:.
1) A lot of people think it looks better
2) Some people think it feels better
3) I suppose you might shave a few ounces of weight too

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
There is a sticky here on doing that. But myself I would look on ebay and find the bottom plate and lever for sale, and go that route. OR. Save the pistol grip stock, lever, and bottom plate. Just in case you end up liking the first better. You can also sale or trade here maybe for your needed parts. I like the straight grip to . But I also like the pistol grip as well. I think it is more functional as far as hunting . Bringing the rifle up , shouldering and finding target. It just feels natural. I think marlin had something there when they put the pistol grip on a working mans rifle for bringing home the meat.

·
Premium Member
24,627 Posts
I would tend to agree with the previous post.
As far as a hunting rifle being fitted with a scope, the pistol grip
is much more functional.
I would definately NOT grind the trigger plat down as sometimes
is done in this conversion. It is much easier to take the time to locate
a straight plate and lever.
I saw one on GB yesterday, and I also saw one on Ebay as well.
Stocks also easy to locate. That way you can do the swap in minutes
and will have no need to reblue parts. And you can swap it back
if you want to later.
You may like the straight grip for use with a peep/reciever site
but with a scope most agree the pistol grip is better.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The pistol grip is probably a feature devised for better grip and the ability to use that for greater accuracy. It might have been easier to build a lever action with a straight grip equating to a lower cost initially but soon the pistol grip stock became at least an available option. However, long gun pistol grip stocks were in use before the first lever action was released to the public. I'm not familiar with gun history from that period so I don't know the percentage of people who preferred what back then.

For some of us, the straight stock results in greater accuracy and comfort. Me being one of that crowd as well as my wife. For us, the straight stock allows for a more comfortable grip because we can "crawl" our hand up or down the tang area to get an ergonomic reach from grip to trigger. Pistol grip stocks tend to lock your hand into the grip area created by the manufacturer. For many that is fine but for some of us, using a pistol grip stock rifle is tantamount to having an underwear wedgy while shooting. I can do it, but would rather not.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a receiver sight on it now. Probably going to start checking evil bay and find the stock,lever, and trigger plate. After some more checking around I am going to shorten the mag tube and probably the barrel. man this is getting additive.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
All my shotguns have pistol grips, bolt action rifles too..................for a reason :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I don't think there are any "benefits" really, other than personal preferences in appearances perhaps? I have rifles of both types, and as far as actual use out in the field etc., I don't notice any advantage of one over the other.. but that's just me. Do whatever makes you happy... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
I don't think there are any "benefits" really, other than personal preferences in appearances perhaps? I have rifles of both types, and as far as actual use out in the field etc., I don't notice any advantage of one over the other.. but that's just me. Do whatever makes you happy... :biggrin:
I agree with AZsparrow.................I don't think there ARE any benefits, either..................Its all in the eye of the beholder..............

The Straight stock looks lighter, (but its NOT*)..............But it does look more Western............* and some will argue that point.....OK, the little bit of wood in the PG, and the extra metal on the TGP do weigh something, but can you actually feel that, without a good scale ?

Having hunted with both.....I don't have a preference, cuz I can't see a benefit for one over the other.............

It all comes down to whatever make you grin...

Tom

·
Registered
763 Posts
I always felt (rightly or wrongly) that the straight grips were more intended for "saddle guns" as the pistol grip rifles did not work well with scabbards.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only thing I dislike about a straight grip long gun is that you can't quite as easily pull it back into your shoulder. On a 22, not a problem...with more recoil it becomes a factor.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I own both and like both, but some days the straight grip isn't comfortable. The older I get, the more joints hurt and the better the pistol grip feels when "Arthur-itis" makes himself known. DP

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like both, but on my long barreled Cowboy 30-30, the pistol grip conversion was well worth it!

On the 336SSLTD 35Rem with the lighter front end... Straight feels GREAT!

...either way you can't lose, but I do 2nd what the others have posted about finding the parts. Good luck on the project and let us know how it turns out!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I like both, but on my long barreled Cowboy 30-30, the pistol grip conversion was well worth it!

On the 336SSLTD 35Rem with the lighter front end... Straight feels GREAT!

...either way you can't lose, but I do 2nd what the others have posted about finding the parts. Good luck on the project and let us know how it turns out!!!

i really like your cowboy.. very Nice! classy!. looks like the old west.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My 45-70 is my only straight grip and I simply love the rifle. My 30-30's have the pistol grip. I too have the notion to do the straight grip on one of the 30-30. My problem is one is a Glennfeild, i like the deer on the grip. The other is my 336 that I have vad since 1976. Dont want to do anything to the best deer rifle Ive owned. It has wear marks from carring the rifle for so many years. all made by me. I did redo the stocks awhile back. It has real dark walnut.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
My 45-70 is my only straight grip and I simply love the rifle. My 30-30's have the pistol grip. I too have the notion to do the straight grip on one of the 30-30. My problem is one is a Glennfeild, i like the deer on the grip. The other is my 336 that I have vad since 1976. Dont want to do anything to the best deer rifle Ive owned. It has wear marks from carring the rifle for so many years. all made by me. I did redo the stocks awhile back. It has real dark walnut.

plumbernater, there's only one thing you can do... you'll have to get yet another rifle needing some lovin' and fix 'er up straight... :flute:

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep AZ Im all ways looking for that unloved marlin that can be got real cheap. Theres one out there might even come with a straight stock . If not it can happen. I love a project.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If you decide to make the change, do it yourself with what you have. There is plenty of info. in the stickies here on MO. Feel the frustration, enjoy the results of your efforts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts