Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I saw that one too. If it was made in 1964 then I think the stock has been refinished. I think all of the 336s made in the mid 1960s had a dull oiled finish. This one is definitely very shiny. I sent a message to the seller asking for more info. He may not be aware that it has likely been refinished.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
TnBB, the finish can be dull and still produce a glare, just depends on the strobe. I would bid but the minimum is a bit high. I bought one just like it for $225.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Sidespin, you are correct about the appearance of the a glare on the finish. I just got an email response from the seller this morning. He sent a pic of the wood to metal fit at the tang. Sure enough, the wood looks too small for the tang. It has definitely been refinshed. I would guess that the metal has been reblued too. The seller seems like an honest guy. He just didnt know much about Marlins.

Man, you got a great deal on your 35! Maybe I will find one like that one day.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I looked more deliberately at the pics, and you are right - it has been refinished. Not sure about rebluing. A pic of the print on the barrel would tell a lot in that regard. I sent a message to the seller as well asking why he was selling, haven't received a reply. I do believe that your assesment of the situation is correct -- the seller may not know much about Marlins - or guns in general.

I am plumb proud of my old straight gripped Marlin. It is '57 ventage and is just fun to look at. I'd be interested in the one on auction if the price was a bit more reasonable. I'd rather the rifle show a little wear and tear and be original than an attempt at making it look "better".

SS

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I am with you on that one. I dont mind a little wear on an older rifle. If it is too pretty then I am afraid to use it. I had a 57' RC straight grip 35 for awhile. It had extra fancy wood and hardly a scratch on it. I never took it out in the woods. It just sat in the safe. I sold it. Wish it had been scratched up a little when I bought it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neal--That '57 model has been to the range several times and made it out in the field yesterday evening. I rode along with a buddy to stand guard while he baited a couple hogs traps. Hoped some pigs might realize the significance of the event and show themselves, but maybe next time. It's a beautiful gun (just as you advertised) and a shooter, too. I'm going to take a few critters with it this year.

You tempted me with that .38-55!

Take care,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Chuck, glad to hear you are getting some use out of the rifle. It seemed a shame to just leave it sitting in the safe. Keep us posted on how it performs on those hogs.

The 38-55 is a nice rifle too, but the wood is downright plain compared to that RC. I wont feel so bad scratching it up a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts