Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Ohio and restricted to minimum 38cal and straight case for deer. I have a #1 Ruger I am thinking about getting barreled to 405win. I was in a little brain freeze thinking up the best straight cartridge for flat shooting ballistics of avaible commercial cartridges. I am now also going to consider wildcats. I'm going to hit some manuals like PO Ackleys.
Anyone have wildcats of 38 to 40 cal based on rimless cases that would meet the straight case regulation. The #1 will allow me spitzer bullets and generous OAL of cartridge. Actually .357" is legal. I got interested in Win 350 until I found out it was a 223 case blown out. I thought is was going to be a 35 cal version of 375Win. kind of a super sized 357 max. Any info appreciated, a wildcat on a rimless case wouldn't be anymore PIA than a 405 when it comes to brass & bullets.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What about something based off of a 308 or 30-06 case, not sure what the diameter of the bullet would be.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am in Ohio and restricted to minimum 38cal and straight case for deer. I have a #1 Ruger I am thinking about getting barreled to 405win. I was in a little brain freeze thinking up the best straight cartridge for flat shooting ballistics of avaible commercial cartridges. I am now also going to consider wildcats. I'm going to hit some manuals like PO Ackleys.
Anyone have wildcats of 38 to 40 cal based on rimless cases that would meet the straight case regulation. The #1 will allow me spitzer bullets and generous OAL of cartridge. Actually .357" is legal. I got interested in Win 350 until I found out it was a 223 case blown out. I thought is was going to be a 35 cal version of 375Win. kind of a super sized 357 max. Any info appreciated, a wildcat on a rimless case wouldn't be anymore PIA than a 405 when it comes to brass & bullets.
Many of Gary Reeders wild cats are based off the .405 case. I have not researched them but I do know he sells the brass and dies. I do know one of his favorites to mod is the Ruger #1.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
475 GNR. (compared in size to a .475 Linebaugh) This one we developed back in 1987 for the Contender. It is a 45-70 blown out straight and with a 475 caliber bullet seated in it. It puts a 430 gr. LBT bullet out at 2000 fps and has been used extremely well on Cape Buffalo, Bison, and Australian Buffalo. Best in the Encore or in a Marlin 1895 rifle rebarreled. Brass is available. :rofl::rofl::rofl: That'll put the whoop on them.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Why not just go with the tried-n'-true .38-55 or updated 375 Winchester? Been slaying deer since before underpants was invented. And easy recoiling, and good enough for black bear too.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
If NY had that restriction ( God forbid) I would go with the 357 Max.

Reactions: Da Duke

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 44mg, 375s and 45/70 I'm not looking for a canon. I'm looking for the best thing I can come up with that is flatist trajectory I can squeeze out of a straight case.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have a good friend looking to sell a like new Ruger No 1 375 H&H.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Reactions: edcknives

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Not sure I would go with a rimless and a straight walled case. Has to be headspaced off the case mouth. A staight case based off the 308 win would be a rimless 444 Marlin.

Reactions: Travlin and Vooch

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Drm50 ,

I would consider a 40-70 Sharps Straight if it meets overall length requirements of Ohio. I think you can use .405 Win. brass or 30/40 Krag or .303 British brass. I am sure not everybody in your areas will have one. I know these are not rimless cases.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Drm50 ,

I would consider a 40-70 Sharps Straight if it meets overall length requirements of Ohio. I think you can use .405 Win. brass or 30/40 Krag or .303 British brass. I am sure not everybody in your areas will have one. I know these are not rimless cases.
Or you could get 40-65 brass straight from Starline

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Dmr50,

The 375 Win is hard to beat. Many bullet options. You get a wide variety of weights, bullet design, jacketed, and cast options. In a single shot you do not need to worry about OAL for cycling. You can shoot a 300 + gr cast bullet easily. You can load up for flat shooting hunting, shoot heavy cast long range, or load cast light mild loads for target practice or family fun with trail boss.

The 375 Win brass is constructed for peppy loads. Your action is also designed for the higher pressure cartridges. The 375 Win may be the best design for all shooting sports for you with the Ruger #1 action. Oh, Starline makes 357 Win brass.

I know, not rimless. However, for a few $'s the smith or barrel mfg can alter the extractor to fit. Easier to take off material than fabricate new for more length.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
It doesn't have a shoulder. Is a tapered case considered a straight wall case?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Reactions: 25/20Marlin
1 - 20 of 54 Posts