·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Calvin -

Love to say that was the case, but here is the real scoop. One of the 'reasons' they received several million dollars from the state of NY was because of this hiring plan. They actuall hired less than half of that. Some actually got hired and them let go shortly after. Next, Remington is in the middle of nowhere. The area is economically depressed. If it was not for Remington, the area would not even exist. Now, where is one going to find dozens of employees that understand machining, let alone guns??? They didn't. The reality is that they hired a bunch of people that had never worked on machines in THEIR LIFE. They are paying them anywhere from $9 to $16 hr. It is not cheap up there. Taxes are absolutely rediculous. The people at Marlin were offered jobs to go up there, but they were absolute insults. For example, one of Marlin's most knowledgable gunsmith who made about $25+ /hr was made an offer of $15+ /hr. He was given $0 for any moving expenses...yes $0!!!! This guy knew everything about the rifle and how to correct any of its problems.

The above description and many other like it are why the people on this board that worked at Marlin know how/why Marlin has taken it on the chin. The move was NOTHING more that a profit grab. As you all are aware of, the ******* that was behind the whole thing, Joe Gross, was let go. The official press release was to find other ventures, but strong sources site his mess he made as the true reason. That man is truly evil. He belittled anyone he met. When he arrogantly announced our closing, he actually got up into one of the worker's faces (who was upset because he cares for a disabled child) and told him smuggly that 'he could leave any time he wanted to'. We use to spend DAYS preparing for his arrival with charts, presentations, etc, and we'd sit around waiting for him because he'd never keep his appointments. He also would leave without ever seeing what we put together. As I said, we put DAYS into preparing for his fat ass (and he is FAT). He is pure evil. I hope wherever he goes, they kick him out the back door. He will destroy the company. His leadership style is by intimidation only. He never complimented anyone. He is not a leader.

Bottom line is that article is a bunch of bull. Reality is much worse.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for giving us the straight up on this....as usual the truth is so far off from what the media tries stuffing down our throats

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Joe Gross sounds like the Executive Officer on my last ship. Another adherent of leadership by terror. I put up with that SOB for two years, I know that kind of work enviroment.

·
Premium Member
11,085 Posts
Navigator said:
Calvin -

Love to say that was the case, but here is the real scoop. One of the 'reasons' they received several million dollars from the state of NY was because of this hiring plan. They actuall hired less than half of that. Some actually got hired and them let go shortly after. Next, Remington is in the middle of nowhere. The area is economically depressed. If it was not for Remington, the area would not even exist. Now, where is one going to find dozens of employees that understand machining, let alone guns??? They didn't. The reality is that they hired a bunch of people that had never worked on machines in THEIR LIFE. They are paying them anywhere from $9 to $16 hr. It is not cheap up there. Taxes are absolutely rediculous. The people at Marlin were offered jobs to go up there, but they were absolute insults. For example, one of Marlin's most knowledgable gunsmith who made about $25+ /hr was made an offer of $15+ /hr. He was given $0 for any moving expenses...yes $0!!!! This guy knew everything about the rifle and how to correct any of its problems.

The above description and many other like it are why the people on this board that worked at Marlin know how/why Marlin has taken it on the chin. The move was NOTHING more that a profit grab. As you all are aware of, the bastid that was behind the whole thing, Joe Gross, was let go. The official press release was to find other ventures, but strong sources site his mess he made as the true reason. That man is truly evil. He belittled anyone he met. When he arrogantly announced our closing, he actually got up into one of the worker's faces (who was upset because he cares for a disabled child) and told him smuggly that 'he could leave any time he wanted to'. We use to spend DAYS preparing for his arrival with charts, presentations, etc, and we'd sit around waiting for him because he'd never keep his appointments. He also would leave without ever seeing what we put together. As I said, we put DAYS into preparing for his fat ass (and he is FAT). He is pure evil. I hope wherever he goes, they kick him out the back door. He will destroy the company. His leadership style is by intimidation only. He never complimented anyone. He is not a leader.

Hey, John...................Well stated, and accurate..................

Tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
Navigator, Tom, Bobby......and the rest.......

Thank you!!!!

This was wrong from the git go from what I understand..... I still believe it goes back to the former owners shoulders though.....

Remington, Freedom or who ever, is only doing what is normal in the world.

No problem with former owners, wanting to get out of firearm business and into something elses.

I think many of us do that time from time with in our own personal desires. But what strikes me, is that there was no safe guards put into place.....and in my eyes......the former owners are the ones that actually....showed the lack of care or respect to those that had made them money.

I may be wrong, becuase I really do not know what goes behind close doors. Just seems, they did not go out of their way to protect the workers.

Why was the option of an employee owned company, never pursued?

Lonerider

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Navigator said:
Calvin -

The above description and many other like it are why the people on this board that worked at Marlin know how/why Marlin has taken it on the chin. The move was NOTHING more that a profit grab. As you all are aware of, the bastid that was behind the whole thing, Joe Gross, was let go. The official press release was to find other ventures, but strong sources site his mess he made as the true reason. That man is truly evil. He belittled anyone he met. When he arrogantly announced our closing, he actually got up into one of the worker's faces (who was upset because he cares for a disabled child) and told him smuggly that 'he could leave any time he wanted to'. We use to spend DAYS preparing for his arrival with charts, presentations, etc, and we'd sit around waiting for him because he'd never keep his appointments. He also would leave without ever seeing what we put together. As I said, we put DAYS into preparing for his fat ass (and he is FAT). He is pure evil. I hope wherever he goes, they kick him out the back door. He will destroy the company. His leadership style is by intimidation only. He never complimented anyone. He is not a leader.

The Walmartization of Marlin! They will never turn out a product worth a damn until they take care of their workers and pay them a living wage...

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Navigator said:
Calvin -

Navigator This is I believe the second time I even seen your post and I know you have been around for a while. But when you post you tell quite a story.
Well I guess my next lever rifle will be a BLR.
This site will have to change to Lever Owner.
TO NY

·
Premium Member
11,085 Posts
A little Clarification on Navigator.................

John is the Real Deal............Simply stated...........I had the pleasure to know, and work with John. We socialized together with our wives and others from Marlin..........

John is the "Kid" to me...................I'm Old School......................John is extremely good at Manufacturing Engineering, and Quality Assurance...........for a Kid!........I'm not going to bow too low, here.......................

My point in this post is, .......John has not posted too much here.............No matter,............His posts are factual and accurate with regard to what took place within Marlin and the Freedom Group throughout the closing of Marlin................

If John states it..............It's true..................I just wish he'd stop talking about my age...... That biting on my ankle is starting to hurt...........;D

Tom

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you mind Navigator if I share your commentary with some friends I have on another site that have a hard time believing what has really happened at Remarlington?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts