Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was cleaning up my new-to-me Colt .32 auto and we ran out of patches.
Being the " improvise, adapt, and overcome " kind of guy I am, I was eating a sandwich as he was cleaning it and noticed the Bounty quilted napkin was kinda strong.
I said, here try this thing, and tore a piece off for him to use.

It worked beautifully, held together, and did not have any lint! I kid you not.
So...I cut up a new one in equal thirds as pictured and you would not believe the gunk that these Bounty napkins picked up, and once again....they held together and produced no lint. It was amazing!

Stop paying high prices for cleaning patches when all you need to do is get a gillion of them at the grocery store.
At 200 napkins per package, and nine patched per napkin that means 1,800 patches per package.

I also "asked" him to give some attention to my Luger, and now the trigger pull is even better.

This is life-changing.

...or maybe I need to get a better life first?

004.JPG

005.JPG

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. I'll give it a try.

When he used a jag tip, you would not believe how black that napkin patch came out.
That was after two runs with a slot tip.

Now granted, this little .32 had probably never been cleaned in years, but I do not think I have ever seen anything so cheap be so effective.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
When the girls were babies, we had two in diapers at once. We used cloth diapers, no disposables, and for my part in child care the diapers were my responsibility. If I ran out of diapers in the middle of the night, I'd hit my T-shirt drawer and pin on one of my shirts. I'd wash my shirts twice, very carefully.
As the girls got older, I found the diapers to be excellent patch material. Sometimes you can find stacks of them at the second hand store cheap.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
my wife buys the cheap "store brand" paper towels .... just tried it with them. They don't work so good. Guess I'll stick to cutting 2x2's out of my old t-shirts with the cutting board, straight edge and "roller knife".

for what it's worth though, concerning "paper goods" ... I was taught a long time ago to use plain old paper coffee filters to do final finishes on oil finished wood (particularly gun stocks for the discussion). Paper products do have a little "grit" to get some things done. (Kinda like using a dollar bill to burnish off the oxidation from the contacts on your "points" .... but then again, I quit trying the DIY stuff under the hood shortly after they did away with points and condensers).

jd

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
As much as I dislike Walmart, I do buy cleaning supplies from them. Walmart offers a number of different precut gun cleaning patches on the cheap. I have bags of their cleaning patches that I bought years ago and I have not run out. My time is more valuable then to waste it reinventing the wheel that Walmart knocked off years ago.

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've used section of paper towels wadded up and tightly fitted to the bore for cleaning shotguns for many years. Spray the bore down with Gun Scrubber, splash some on the end of the towel, wad it upp and stuff in from the chamber end. Push it through with a cleaning rod. Works good for me. Have not tried it on rifles or handguns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts