Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I should keep going with the BLO and 0000 steel wool or stop here. It looks great to me but I can tell not all the wood is filled if that makes any sense. It's slick after rubbing it down with the steel wool but not sure if I should keep poring the BLO to it. I 've only got about 8 coats on it and have went over it with the steel wool 3 times. I don't want it so slick I can't hold on to it but do want to achieve factory like finish. :hmmmm: stock refinish 008 (480x640).jpg

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
Keep doing what your douing. Looks like it is going to turn out FANTASTIC. A few more coats. Like the little kid in the TV series Kung Fu was told, "Patience, little Grasshopper, perfection will will be obtained only after continued repetition." I would not go to absolute perfection though. You want it to look like a perfect Marlin, not a perfect Wetherby. Don't forget the insides. AC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking real good! Like gunscrewguy said, patience and repetition! You'll know it when you've had enough.. I mean when you're done!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I always continue until all the grain is sealed . . but you've got it looking good.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
That is about where I most generally stop at. I like that non glare finish.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about it being too slick to hold. Keep going. It sounds like you are not satisfied. If this is your first attempt there is no reason not to enjoy the process. Is 30 coats crazy? Give it a shot. I think you will like the results.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Looking good....

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Lookin' good to me too, but only you will know where you're satisfied!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like to keep going until all the grain is sealed up. Then finish it off like you're doing with the steel wool to knock off the shine. Like gunscrewguy says - make sure to hit the edges and some on the insides. (under the buttplate too)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
You do know your never really done right? Every year or so it's a good idea to put on another coat.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Unless you're in some kind of hurry, finish the job. There is nothing like a good hand rubbed finish with all the grain sealed. You can always tone down the finish if too shiny.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about it being too slick to hold. Keep going. It sounds like you are not satisfied. If this is your first attempt there is no reason not to enjoy the process. Is 30 coats crazy? Give it a shot. I think you will like the results.
NO, 30 coats is getting close to finish...............I've got 53 coats of BLO on the stock on a 336ER.............Then I sealed it with Bischwood Casey's Stock sealer and 3 coats of Butchers Wax..........I actually add a coat of Butchers wax every October.........

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
NO, 30 coats is getting close to finish...............I've got 53 coats of BLO on the stock on a 336ER.............Then I sealed it with Bischwood Casey's Stock sealer and 3 coats of Butchers Wax..........I actually add a coat of Butchers wax every October.........

Tom
Dang, that stock looks fantastic!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and Tomray

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
Tomray, is that factory wood!?
Yes, that is factory wood, but it is special wood purchased for some NRA Presentation rifles........That stock set is one of four, that was NOT chosen for the NRA rifles.

When I had my 336ER built, that wood became available to me, thru Gunservice............A "Master Gunsmith' friend of mine had been sitting on it, waiting for a special rifle to use it on.

A few years later, I stripped the stock set of the Lacquer finish and refinished it with BLO...........IMO, The wood is just too good for the Lacquer.

Yeah!..........I really lucked out on that!

That 336ER is the only one ever built at Marlin North Haven W/O having a cross bolt safety.............I have the Marlin letter signed by the builder, attesting to that fact, too...........

Thanks for the kind words................

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I have refinished a couple of my Marlin stocks and have taken one all the way to glossy and then left my 32 special just like you have it there, nicely protected finish with no gloss. I left my 1895 glossy as I wanted it to look good with the eagle butt cuff. just my preference on that rifle.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I knock down my finishes with 1500 grit wet/dry over Howard's Feed-N-Wax: Bees wax + orange oil. Keep going, it looks fantastic!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts