Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I am redoing a 336C stock and fore grip and I am looking for something different than the BLO and Tung Oil treatment. I have done numerous stocks with these oils and I like the results, but I was thinking maybe a different coloration this time.
Has anyone used a gray stain on the Walnut stocks?
The stock in question does have some slight imperfections from years of hunting, but it also has some really nice grain I want to bring to life.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Andrew,

A little steam from a moist washcloth and iron will lift out most dents and dings. As for color, I like silver/grey/black tones. I have a Boyds laminate in the pepper two tone that really stands out. As for the final finish, Brownell's sells DemBart Oil. It has a high penetration rate and leaves a nice satin finish. More sheen than BLO or Tung and nothing like Tru Oil. Also, the DemBart oil finish is easy to touch up in the future as you add more character marks.

The picture is with DemBart oil.

Reactions: alawrence

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I answered my own question with a little sampling of the grey stain on the wood. I would not suggest it to anyone. The dark of the walnut just doesn't work with the color. I will stick with my tried and true Tung Oil, followed by Minwax paste wax.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I answered my own question with a little sampling of the grey stain on the wood. I would not suggest it to anyone. The dark of the walnut just doesn't work with the color. I will stick with my tried and true Tung Oil, followed by Minwax paste wax.
Andrew

Good to know about dark stain on walnut. If you have not tried DemBart oil, you should. It has been my standard for over 30 years. A nice sweet spot between Tung and Tur Oils

Apply the first two to three coasts with 320 wet/dry paper using small circles to make a fine slurry that fills the pores wiping off excess between before setting aside for a day to dry. Only about 10-15 min between the first two or three coats. If you fill the pores before setting aside to dry the first time, you will have an outstanding result every time. The rest are small quantity applications with 400 and even 600 depending on the luster you are looking for. Oh, the same Minwax paste top coat. I am almost out of the good old can Minwax that had volatile organic compounds. The new stuff is just not the same.

The same application technique works equally well with BLO and Tung.

Reactions: alawrence

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started using the Tung Oil on this project. So far it looks nice. Much lighter than my last 30-30 I refinished, but it has some nice character coming through.
As for filling in all of the stocks hunting marks, I wanted to keep them visible, by smoothed out a bit. The old man I got this rifle from, hunted with it every deer season for 40 years. When I stripped it down to the last screw, I even found some wool fibers buried in the action. Probably from his hunting coat.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts