Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of completing my refinishing of my 336 stock . I have a dozen layers of tru-oil rubbed in. My question is do I still need to coat with paste wax. It's been a while since I did this thanks foe help pics when finished

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Only if you want to. I rarely do, but I'll coat the metal if I think of it before hunting season when I might be out in rain or snow for hours.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
i also use tru oil and love the results. i also use birchwood casey rubbing compound after several coats. after the last coat of oil has set overnight i rub it down with the compound and let it dry for a while, buff it out with an old towel, oil again, wait overnight and repeat. makes for a nice non-glossy sheen. never found the need to wax to protect tur oil. lee

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
In the mid-sixties, I made a set of target grips for Dad's Ruger MkI Target from a block of walnut and did the finish with True Oil and used another Birchwood Casey product called Sheen to finish it off. Dad passed away three years ago and that pistol came to me. After some 40 years hard farm use with a lot of that riding in the floor of his truck, that finish is still not in need of touch up. I do not know if they still sell Sheen or not, but if they do, I can highly recommend it.

I bought a '60 Texan a few years ago that had minty metal and someone had True Oiled the stock. It is too shiny and that is a project that is on my to do list. It needs a little of the shine knocked off. Come to think about it, I don't think I have ever shot it either, and that needs to be done. Good day to all, jack

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Tru Oil recommends using steel wool 2/0 to knock down finish. I think I might try the Birchwood rubbing compound though, I didn't really care for the TruOil finish on the one stock I did, seems to plasticky and glossy, fills in all the grain. Finish came out the way is should, however too slick. Maybe I should use the rubbin gcompound Probably really good for keeping weather out though. I've finished a couple of stocks with Tung oil that look really nice, very subtle and you can still see the grain, again, maybe not the best rain protection. I live in a pretty dry climate, so moisture isn't a real issue. Tung oil is a bit trickier to do but it fairly easy once you get the sequence.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Has anyone tried polymerized tung oil? Been thinking of using that myself.
This place makes it www.sutherlandwelles.com

Personally. I dont care for the way linseed products darken as much as they do. I've used pure tung oil cut with a thinner before and happened onto the ploymerized tung oil info recently.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Min-Wax Satin Tung Oil Finish. If you follow the direction on the can, the results look like a fine English shotgun with a hand rubbed finish.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
the main thing i discovered after using tru oil for a while was how you apply it. just a little and rubbed almost dry leaves a satin finish. takes more coats and a lot more time that way. put it on heavier and more shine. put it on heavier and dry it with a hair dryer and it really glosses up if that is what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts