Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking at a new (old) 1894 (JM) in .44. Thing is, she looks in fair condition and the price is fair but... Always a but eh? A previous owner thought it a great idea it set a brass name plate in the side of the stock. Now I dont want some strangers name on the rifle. Maybe it souldnt bother me, but it does. If it was a 100 yr old antique, maybe, but its not.

Alternatives include a new replacement stock. Not a cheap option, considering the exsisting one is in fair order. How about popping it out and filling the space with wood, then refinishing? I am a fair hand with steel, but to be honest rubbish with wood. I doubt I could do it without making a hash of it. I guess I could take it to a good chippie, but finding the right guy and at a fair price? May come back to just buying a replacement.

Any opinions? What would you do?

·
Registered
608 Posts
..or scrape away the engraving first, leaving the brass plate clean & plain:
if still intolerable, you still have all the other options open
2nd : try to fill the wood under supervision or by an expert _
post photos and ask for Rjtmac's answer, anyway:)_

·
Super Moderator
25,975 Posts
tanteruk, a picture would go a long way in determining an opinion. Once posted, I'll know better but off the top of my head, this Marlin might be a good candidate for a really nice leather butt cuff.

Jack

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depending on what the plate said I'd try my hand at distressing it and embracing it. I think sometimes we forget that these guns had history before us. Not always worth it to erase it away. JMHO

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good thoughts, thanks. Cant post a pic yet, going to see it in the next couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
11,669 Posts
Sounds like you haven't seen it in person yet. Maybe use that as a bargaining tool to see if you can get it for less? Unless it has historical provenance I would replace the stock in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen a photo but not a very good one. It looks like its seen some use, and worringly, a 'trigger job'. But being familiar with the 1894 I cant imagine there will be any issues I cant get past. I even have parts from my .357 that should be interchangeble. The bore is one issue, but only a good look will answer that one. Knowing the 1894, what to look out for is a selling point as far as I am concened.

To be honest, the .44 is one calibre I have missed out on in my own half century of shooting. Never had one, rifle or handgun. Thats an added attraction. More to learn and try out.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I don't like them but a leather stock wrap might be your solution.

Reactions: tranteruk

·
Registered
22,353 Posts
Well my 2 cents a leather stock wrap is easy. or remove the writing. change the stock. can you buy stocks off ebay.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stock has been completely redone and has a high gloss finish on it. Someone took pride in this regardless if it was done good or not. The stock grain is very nice but the picture it bad quality. If the finish doesn't look too bad I would leave it alone. If the finish is poorly done I would walk away completely.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You're not alone. I don't very much care for someone else's name on a used rifle. I would either try to remove it or cover it.
You say it's in fair condition and the price is fair. If you're not in love with it and think you'll be throwing more money at it. Do you think it is worth it? Or maybe it's better to continue searching?

( It would be different if the gun had sentimental value, or something you always wanted, or the gun was rare/ collector piece. I can see spending $$$ to get it in tip top shape.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would consider a leather, lace on cartridge carrier. I think they look great on Lever guns, very old west.
If you go to Gunbroker.com.....and search " custom leather cartridge carrier" you'll pull up several options
From a seller/maker out of Santa Fe, NM. They sell for about $59.
Good luck and enjoy that 1894.......

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're not alone. I don't very much care for someone else's name on a used rifle. I would either try to remove it or cover it.
You say it's in fair condition and the price is fair. If you're not in love with it and think you'll be throwing more money at it. Do you think it is worth it? Or maybe it's better to continue searching?

( It would be different if the gun had sentimental value, or something you always wanted, or the gun was rare/ collector piece. I can see spending $$$ to get it in tip top shape.)

Good luck.
Ah, that is something I will consider when looking it over. If its going to cost a lot to get in shape, I am better looking elsewhere. The action may be very worn, I will check lock up, wear marks on the lever top, wear to the cartridge lifter, especially the notch that can work into the underside from the sharp edge of the snail cam. The bore of course and the overall condition, suggesting how its been cared for. Asking price, if curious if £500.00 which Google tells me is $654.00 USD. For this side of the pond I regard that as top dollar for a well used one. I am looking at others, included some new. All 1894's in .44 or .45lc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts