Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
So working on sighting in my 1895G (Remlin - manufactured Dec, 2015), and while I'm dead nutz right/left, I'm having issues setting the elevation.

Out of the box, I was hitting about 14-16 inches low at 50 yards using Winchester factory 300g ammo. It looks like to be zeroed in for 100 yards, per the Winchester ballistics app, I should be hitting about 1-2 inches HIGH at 50 yards, so trying to adjust up about 16 inches. Eventually worked the rear ramp up ALL THE WAY to the highest setting, and still punching holes consistantly around 7 inches low.

Any thoughts? I was hoping to get away WITHOUT having to change the sights, but not sure how to go higher than the highest ramp.

I want to stay with this factory ammo at least through gun season here in Ohio this year, and should then have more time to dedicate to working up a good, consistant handload.

If changing the sights is inevitable, what are your recommendations. I was looking at the XS system, to allow future expansion for a scope, but not in the cards in the near future. How about a peepsight?

Thanks as always,
Jackyl71

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Sounds like a lower front sight or higher rear is what you need. The "light" bullet load may be part of the problem. I would say that a 405 gr. bullet load would hit closer to where you want it to be. Were it mine, I'd pop a higher peep sight on it and get to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shorter front or taller rear sight. I can recommend Skinner sights.

I have a Browning 1886 in 45-70 that shot low with standard 405gr ammo. While playing around with different loads I found that paper patched ammo grouped significantly higher. Paper patches also shoot much more accurately for me than any other load including jacketed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
It is a shame that you should have to do any modification at all to a new rifle.To me....that's unacceptable.
That makes about as much sense as buying a new car and then having to align the front end because the car wo,t track straight.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Sounds like a lower front sight or higher rear is what you need. The "light" bullet load may be part of the problem. I would say that a 405 gr. bullet load would hit closer to where you want it to be. Were it mine, I'd pop a higher peep sight on it and get to work.
:dito:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Drop rear sight to lowest setting and get to filling a little off the front till you have the POI that you want at 50 yd. then you can use elevation ladder to elevate to 100 yd and more.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
:dito: I'd try a 405gr cast and see how that does. If it doesn't put you where you want to be looks like you have no recourse but to get a lower front or higher rear. If it's brand new call Remlin they have helped out other members here with a lower front sight. Be sure and measure the one you got so you can tell them when you call.

Reactions: Jackyl71

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's brand new call Remlin they have helped out other members here with a lower front sight. Be sure and measure the one you got so you can tell them when you call.
So I did 2 things tonight:

1) I measured the front sight - ~12mm (1/2 inch) from barrel to the top of the sight, or 9mm from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. I will call Marlin Consumer Services tomorrow, as they keep regular hours and were closed after 5pm.

and, 2) I ordered the 1895 Guide Gun set of sights from Skinner. It was between the XS Sight System, with ghost ring sights and the picatinny rail, and the Skinner offerings. After reading different articles, threads on here, and various YouTube vids, I chose the Skinner peepsight, along with the new front blade, and the dovetail filler, tooled to store the aperture. By selecting the shorter "Reliable" sight, it will still allow me to add the shorter XS Lever Scout Rail mount for adding a scope later.

I'll get her dialed in yet!

Jackyl71

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok this conversation came to screeching halt almost three years ago, but I am curious as to how you are getting along with the sights from Skinner?
Pictures would be cool if you have the time, I am from the Show-Me State.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,721 Posts
Ok this conversation came to screeching halt almost three years ago, but I am curious as to how you are getting along with the sights from Skinner?
Pictures would be cool if you have the time, I am from the Show-Me State.
Thanks
Old Jackyl hasn't signed on in almost as long...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts