Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting to pick up a new old 39A. ;-)
One thing I know it needs is a little loving care on the wood. It looks like there is a varnish finish? And that it is cracking a bit and worn through in some areas. I do NOT want to strip any of the old finish off or refinish the rifle. Any tips on treating the wood for best appearance and conservation?
Leather Tan Brown Wood Textile
Red Brown Wood Orange Tan

Thank you,
Carl

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I would just use some furniture wax.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
MinWax Wood-Sheen

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've used butchers wax. It works better on some finishes than others though.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey Marlin97,

You may want to do a light sanding to smooth things up.....not down to bare wood but just smooth it out to your satisfaction. Then apply a coat of MinWax Wipe-Poly polyurethane by hand....just like applying an oil finish. When it dries apply another coat. When that dries rub it down with #0000 steel wool. Continue that process until the desired look is achieved. I prefer the clear satin finish, it can be made to look like a fine oil finish yet is far tougher and easy to repair.

·
Banned
457 Posts
sanding of some kind is a must, as the sanding marks will help give the new coat something to anchor itself to. This IS just a band aid though, as you will have to do a total refinish soon.

if ya ever have to try and match the stain on your furniture, I have always just put some steel wool in a can of white vinegar, and let it set over night, and the mixture turns into the most beautiful walnut like stain you can imagine

Reactions: Schtoolee
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.