Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.....I've got a Puma 44 mag carbine that shoots well. I installed the spring kit and polished up some of the internals and it cycles slick as snot. The thing I don't like about are the stocks. I've been looking around and can't seem to find many aftermarket wood stocks for this make of rifle. I'm wondering if the Winnie stocks will fit.....anyone have a clue on this? Also, would I be stuck with the carbine stocks, or could I use the rifle stocks with the full crescent buttplate?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Hey guys.....I've got a Puma 44 mag carbine that shoots well. I installed the spring kit and polished up some of the internals and it cycles slick as snot. The thing I don't like about are the stocks. I've been looking around and can't seem to find many aftermarket wood stocks for this make of rifle. I'm wondering if the Winnie stocks will fit.....anyone have a clue on this? Also, would I be stuck with the carbine stocks, or could I use the rifle stocks with the full crescent buttplate?

Thanks for the help!
I applied Tru-oil on right over the atrociously cheap Rossi "shoe polish" finish (washes off in the rain.......believe it or not Ripley:hmmmm:) with good results and the resulting finish didn't wash off in the rain like the factory finish does if you don't doctor it up.
These are cheap utility "throw away" guns the manufacturer won't sell you replacement parts for if they break so I don't waste money dressing them up in custom walnut stocks that are worth more than the gun.
They're fun guns and my 3 x Rossi 92s are remarkably accurate.
Shoot them and enjoy them but don't waste too much money on them.
Like the age old truism says "You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear".
I'm assuming your PUMA is a Rossi made PUMA.

Is your PUMA a Rossi made PUMA or one of the later LSI PUMAs made by Chiappa?
The Chiappa PUMAs are MUCH better guns.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Jonny, here is a link to Boyd's Rossi stock. Read the measurements they have posted and verify your rifle is the same. If your Puma is an older one you may be in luck. I did this dance with Boyd's and was not impressed. The stock they cut does not fit any of the current production Rossi 92's and they simply were not interested in changing the dimensions to the current size. I know that they are missing an awful lot of sales as that flat butt would be a joy compared to the steel plate that is on them from the factory. My .45 Colt Rossi is brutal to shoot more than a few rounds without some type of shooting pad on your shoulder!

Boyds: ROSSI® 92 STK W F Field Designs

edit: I see that Gater had already posted the link. Oh well, CRS strikes again!

Tom

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Anyone know if Winnie stocks would fit or could be made to fit? I'm looking to get the rifle rear stock (with the crescent steel buttplate) and then use the carbine front. Maybe have to have a stock made....

I guess I'm weird but I don't like the look of the new stocks, the antique ones look a lot better. There's a Marlin 22 lever gun from the 1890's at my LGS right now and it has the best looking stocks you ever saw......

·
Registered
75 Posts
These need some fitting. I have a forearm stock from them for my 44 carbine but I don't have the talent to fit it. I'm waiting to get the butt stock and then take it to a smitty to get fitted.

Rossi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts