Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newest/flattest shoot'in magnum or a levergun?; guess it depends on how good a hunter you are ::)

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I was never into magnums. Give me a lever or a 30-06.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Halwg said:
I was never into magnums. Give me a lever or a 30-06.
IMHO: The .30-06 is a great round, but overrated. The .35 Whelen is ballistically superior and "cooler" IMHO. Just a lever'll do here! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I happen to love lever rifles, but I also have a passion for big bore rifles and handguns...... It's not a "Macho" thing like some guys tend to spout off about. It's what I like and I could care less what others think or say. If someone has a problem with me liking/shooting/owning a "Magnum"....... Oh Well!!!

I could sit here and mouth off why these certain guys feel the need to mouth off about it being a "Macho" thing, but then I'd be insulting them and stooping to their level..... so I'll be respectful and zip it!

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I have a couple of magnums, a 7mm Remington and a .300 Winchester, but it's been so long since I've shot either of them that I've forgotten when the last time was. It's been years. They have their uses, but are far more rifle than I need now. I probably should sell them and get more Marlins, but I kinda like having them around. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
six_gunz said:
I happen to love lever rifles, but I also have a passion for big bore rifles and handguns...... It's not a "Macho" thing like some guys tend to spout off about. It's what I like and I could care less what others think or say. If someone has a problem with me liking/shooting/owning a "Magnum"....... Oh Well!!!

I could sit here and mouth off why these certain guys feel the need to mouth off about it being a "Macho" thing, but then I'd be insulting them and stooping to their level..... so I'll be respectful and zip it!
I have never quite understood the "hate" for a magnum rifle. Should they only make one Chevy, Dodge, or Ford model truck? How about just one color truck? Is the guy that drives a 1 ton pickup a less skilled driver than one who drives a 1/2 ton truck?

Personally, I think we are very fortunate to have so many choices for so many different hunting/shooting scenarios.

bjm

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have quite a few magnums and really like them. But I had rather hunt with a 336 for the type hunting I do. My average shot is less than 100 yds. The longest possible shot wouldn't be 200 yds. I have killed my share of deer in my time. I hunted for 2 years at night and killed 85 deer and only hunted during season only at night. I killed the 85 with a 22 mag. and only 1 shot each. You don't need a super cal rifle to kill a deer if you place your shots right. With my shooting ability and my experience hunting I can kill any deer with a 30-30 as well as any big mag cal. I have gone thru the killing phase being all important to enjoying my hunt's now I pass up more deer than ever before because I dont want to ruin a good day hunting by killing a deer and having to spend 4 or 5 hours cleaning and packaging deer meat. I will kill 2 to 3 a year and that's all I want to fool with and plenty to last until the next year. Last year I hunted mostly with handguns and enjoyed it a lot. I have killed a couple of deer with my pistols and am confident in my shooting that a pistol is fine for hunting. I will probably use handguns and 30-30's this coming year and if I shoot I will kill. I enjoy watching deer and see a lot that I could kill probably but if I don't know I can make a clean kill I will pass up a iffy shot. The last 5 deer I have were all head shots. I haven't trailed a deer that I shot in probably 25 years. But I don't mind passing up less than perfect chances to make a killing shot. I would pass up the biggest deer in the woods if I wasn't sure I could kill it cleanly. I get poed when I am in the woods and hear someone shoot 4 to 5 shots at a deer. They didn't have a shot and should have passed the deer up. I also hunt with encores and feel confident with one shot.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a bunch of other rifle types besides levers. They are collecting dust in my gun safes. The only one I've used in quite a while is my 35 Whelen. Great cartrige. I do have two magnums, a 300 H&H and a 270 Weatherby (in a ruger #1). Both are outstanding rifle/cartrige combos, but they just don't trip my trigger like the Marlins I have.
30-06 is a great cartrige, no doubt. Mine would do anything I needed, but I turned it into a 35 Whelen and have never looked back.
I have put my applications in for some of Wyoming's limited quota deer and elk areas that are close to me. If I draw them I'll have to pack one of the magnums. Long shots are the norm out that way. Big open sage country. Lots of big hillsides and canyons. Other than that, I generally pack one of my Marlins.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Tommy Kelly---Why and where did you hunt deer at night? I'm just curious.
I obviously can't speak for him, but I have heard of .gov sanctioned culls where you do just that. If the deer have been breeding like rabbits it sometimes becomes necessary.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I never said it was legal. but back then it was the thrill of getting away with it but I never left a deer and I always gave them to families that needed the meat and usually ended up helping clean the deer for them. It wasn't right but a phase I went through. A good spotlight and a 22 mag with a 3x weaver was a awesome killing setup. It is not uncommon here to see 75 to 100 deer in a beanfield at night. Last week I went to a neighboring town to buy a 336 at a pawnshop it was a 40 mile trip one way this was in the middle of the day and I counted 22 deer in the round trip between 1:00 and 3:00 in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you would settle for less than a Marlin (which would be hard to swallow), the BLR is a lever gun that comes in all the favorie standby calibers, magnums and all of the new designer magnum cartridges. But I would rather kiss the ugliest pole cat in the world during the Super Bowl half-time show than to settle for anything but a Marlin.

'Drifter

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
There are so many choices... a caliber for every taste. The important thing is good aiming. I love the variety and like many others here, have many!! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I don't own a magnum and the only one I ever owned was a Ruger Security six .375 revolver (sold it).

That being said, I do have two other rifles and they are both collectors now. One is the little Winchester Model 62A hammer .22 ca pump I bought at age 14 (now worth more than 10 times what I paid for it, not to mention the sentimental value). The second is a Ruger Model 77 in .308 Win, a first year of production issue, serial #155 (the collector sought after square bolt). It was my go to deer/elk rifle for years. But now my Marlins rule! ;D

Cascade Jinx

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
This is not anti-mag. But when you read of someone using his ultra mag to kill his deer at 125 yds you kind of have to ask what's the point.
I've started to feel that a .308 win. is all you need on the maximum end of the scale for anywhere east of the Mississippi including moose.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I too think a 308 is pretty much all you need if you had but one gun. 30 -06 is nice too.

That being said I picked up a 300 Ultra Mag the year it was introduced. The price was right so I figured what the heck. It works great shooting across fields or down power line right of ways. I was surprised to find that is without a doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

It shoots darn near dead flat out to 300 yards and worked real nice at 400 yards putting down a bow hunter's caribou with an arrow stuck in the shoulder.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I do most all of my rifle hunting for white tail deer in eastern Kentucky. 35 Rem and 444 Marlin seem to work fine. Both have put meat on the table countless times for me and for untold others. Might be a few successful 30-30 shooters out there too. Actually, I'm one come to think of it. I just happen to like my 35 Rem Marlin a little better. What the heck, my 38-55 ain't too bad either, despite the fact that it's a Winnie. That said, I do like some magnums and own three. My Beretta Mato in 7 mm Rem Mag is far more accurate and flatter shooting than any of my six lever guns. It's powerful enough to kill anything I'll ever shoot at; so, why don't I use it more? It is sighted in at 200 yards. I probably wouldn't bother to use it if I didn't have something in mind that it was born for. Besides, my 35 Rem is more fun to carry, more fun to shoot and prettier to look at. For deer at 150 yards and less, it's about perfect (for me). Use what ever you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts