Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey .450 fans! I haven noticed a lot of new activity here in the past few months. Now I know you’ve just finished hunting season and all, so let’s hear about your recent .450 Marlin adventures. Did you hunt with it this season? Successful? Any new pics?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I picked up my first .450 only a few days ago. I can’t wait to shoot it. Want to put a peep sight setup on it first. I just scoped my 45/70, so I figure this will be open peeps sights. Been reading all I can find on the .450 Marlin. Sounds like it will be a hoot to hunt with, and also that I should buy any ammo I can scrounge up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Yep hunted elk with my .450 last year - no elk. I only use it for elk - use .35s and .30-30s as carry guns for deer. But no elk. I don't think I've killed an elk with my .450 for about four years now - this year will be the charm (only 141 more getups till the first day of the second season in CO!!!).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up my first .450 only a few days ago. I can’t wait to shoot it. Want to put a peep sight setup on it first. I just scoped my 45/70, so I figure this will be open peeps sights. Been reading all I can find on the .450 Marlin. Sounds like it will be a hoot to hunt with, and also that I should buy any ammo I can scrounge up.
I just love the look of a raw, uncluttered .450 levergun!

Reactions: mattusmc

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s a couple of pics of my “updates.”

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Leather Ammunition belt Musical instrument
Gun Wood Air gun Hardwood
Gun Rifle Wood Air gun Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Wood Air gun

Reactions: mattusmc and maki00

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More about ammo than cartridge. A buddy of mine used the 350 gr. Hornady FN on a black bear and was happy. Later he used the 325 gr. gummy tip on a black bear and was unhappy when he had to finish the bear off with his .357.
Yeah I haven’t heard too many folks bragging on the LeverEvolution stuff. Traditional 45-70-type bullets (albeit somewhat hotter loads) seem to work best for most people.

Reactions: Bull moose

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just noticed in your post you haven’t shot her yet! I gotta say, if you want to feel the full .450 Marlin effect, order you some Buffalo Bore hot loads! A thrill to be sure. Wouldn’t dare shoot it often...I can only handle about two at a time, but it sure is fun to put one in the chamber for a friend to shoot! Probably a totally unnecessary round, but it gives you some bragging rights. And if your gun is ported...well, just make sure you put in your hearing protection!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I just noticed in your post you haven’t shot her yet! I gotta say, if you want to feel the full .450 Marlin effect, order you some Buffalo Bore hot loads! A thrill to be sure. Wouldn’t dare shoot it often...I can only handle about two at a time, but it sure is fun to put one in the chamber for a friend to shoot! Probably a totally unnecessary round, but it gives you some bragging rights. And if your gun is ported...well, just make sure you put in your hearing protection!
All I’ve done so far is cleaned and oiled her up. I want to set it up with a peep and fiber optic sight first. I did cycle some ammo and it is very smooth. I need some plug screws for the top and a safety delete too. Can’t wait for it all to come together!

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I’ve done so far is cleaned and oiled her up. I want to set it up with a peep and fiber optic sight first. I did cycle some ammo and it is very smooth. I need some plug screws for the top and a safety delete too. Can’t wait for it all to come together!
You’ll love it, friend. They’re just a special kind of gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.