Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Still trying to decide between a 336SS and a 1894SS

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  marlin-x 
#1 ·
Howdy folks!
I'm still trying to decide which should be my first levergun; which will be primarily used for deer in the woods of Southern NYS. I'd prefer the .30-.30 of the 336SS($445 at Walmart) over the .44mag on the 1894SS- But(and like my own rather prodigious booty, this is a big one) II love the straight grip on the 1894SS(only $5 more at Walmart!) Any opinions would be most appreciated.

#3 ·
If you are hunting deer in thick areas with shots less than 100 yards. either will do well. The 30-30 would give you greater range and ballistics for a longer shot if needed. If you reload, I would tend slightly toward the 44 as you could load light plinking loads with cheap lead bullets and have a lot of shooting fun. Still, if you reload, you could load a lot of 30-30 ammo fairly cheap. If you don't reload, I'd look at the cost of ammo as the limiting factor for a lot of shooting. Personally, I'd go with the 30-30 in stainless knowing that it is going to be primarily a deer rifle, but that's just me. I prefer the looks of the straight grip, but really either works fine. Eventually, you'll want the other one anyway so buy one now and start saving your pennies for the next one.

#5 ·
BILLY,
My favorite pack around all day rifle is the 1894S(blued) in 44 Maggie. The stainless sounds like a good idea for your conditions. I also have a 45-70 1895ss(blued) weighs only 1/2lb more than 30-30(Unloaded) and has awesome punch if you need it. One of the guys said you can load a 45-70 from "mild to wild!"
You should have at least 3 Marlins to start treatment for the dreaded MARLINITIS.

MUZZLEDUSTER :D

#6 ·
30-30 for sure. Greater range potential. Large variety of cheap ammo which can be bought almost anywhere. Proven performance. And with the new Hornady LEVERevolution ammo, even greater performance on the high end. The .44 Mag. will be adequate, the 30-30 will be perfect. :D

#8 ·
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Stainless...only way to go.
2) 30/30, 20 per box..$10-$18
3) 44mag...50 per box (UMC, Eagle)..$15-$22
4) 30-30 nearly EVERY store will have this ammo!
5) 30-30 more appeal for a larger group for resale.
6) 30-30 primarily a rifle bullet.
7) 44 mag a hand gun bullet.
7A) Heavy bullet advantage for short ranges...what a wallop! I hate hollow points...
Eight ) 125 yards + 30-30 has the advantage.
9) Scope and add few yards to each...thutty-thutty still in the lead.
10) You're a liberal demokrat if you don't buy both.
11) My opinion only and are only a conjecture...: since you are talking about in the woods...a big heavy solid 250 slug will pulverize a deer and advan goes to the 44mag; I think at close range a rifle bullet[30-30] at higher velocity has the possibility, mabye, might, could...not expand as rapidly thus might pass thru and maybe, might, could, possibility...you'd might have to track a deer...

Both are nice and Both can be ideal for your situation if you're willing to practice...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hilary vs Schwarzenegger
>
Senator Hillary Clinton was attending a party, when
she noticed the Governor of California, Arnold
Schwarzenegger.

She walked over to him, and in a quiet voice said,
"If you were my husband I would poison your drink."

Schwarzenegger smiled, leaned forward, and whispered
in her ear,"And if you were my wife I would drink it"

--------------

In closing if you don't buy both I know a bunch of guys who'll kik-your-butt..and just to name a few..Coyote hunter, WyoStillhunter, SideSpin, Superman, Spiderman, Thor, Hillary, Gunjunkie, GLC... AND IF THERE'S ANYTHING LEFT TO KIK...ME... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#9 ·
FWIW: Iown both 44 mag carbines and 30-30. I gotta agree with the othrs here, from my own experience - at short ranges the 44 has real punch - genuine stopping power. BUT- for oberall perfection, the 30-30 is better because its design has better sectional density, greater velocity, flatter trajectory, longer downrange killing power (over 150 yards), and LESS RECOIL! Not to mention what has already been said about ammo availability and lower cost.

Because I pack 44 mag revolvers in my work and for personal defense, I also have 1894 carbines in the same caliber when I travel around Arizona because I have the convenience of one type of ammunition for both handguns and long gun. But when it comes to a choise for hunting or even a gunfight, I'd choose the 303-30 over the 44 even then.

MadDog

#11 ·
Why not consider the 336SS in the 35 Rem? Thats all I use in the south zone. The 8 pointer in my applet fell to the 35 with 1 shot in Streling Forest. I now own 3 of the 35's (all Marlins) and trying to get over the trauma of just shipping my 336D off to the left coast to its new owner. Could not take the report with the ported barrel. At least now I have an excuse not to hear my wife. What was that dear?

#12 ·
Why not consider the 336SS in the 35 Rem? The 35 is all I use in the south zone. The 8 pointer in my applet fell to the 35 with 1 shot in Streling Forest. I now own 3 of the 35's (all Marlins) and trying to get over the trauma of just shipping my 336D off to the left coast to its new owner. Could not take the report with the ported barrel. At least now I have an excuse not to hear my wife. What was that dear?

#13 ·
Custom Rodsmith beat me to the punch.............I have a stainless 44, and a 30-30, and I like them both. But the one gun I truly dote on is my 35 Remington. Handy, accurate, powerful, has all the advantages of the 30-30's trajectory and the punch of a heavy bullet. Don't bother looking at paper ballistics, deer and hogs can't read. The 35 kills all out of proportion to what the numbers say it can do. Ask the man that's hunted with all three..............The 35 wins hands down. Try the Scout Scope setup, and you'll be hooked for good. I am. I just wish I'd bought stock in the company that makes the mounts, I'd be retired by now. :roll:

Papajohn

#15 ·
Decisions, decisions,

I'm getting a 336 next week. Since I already have a GG in 45-70 and reload, .35 Rem seemed like an obvious choice. Couple of good articles:

Levergun loads: the .35 Remington
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_49/ai_98124200

A More Detailed Look at the .35 Remington LeverEvolution
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11117

I've also seen a coule of neat articles on reloading using 357 bullets for lower velocity .35Rem loads. Very cool caliber for the reloader!! Another factor, we have deer and wild pig in Missou. I hear the .35Rem does a real bang up job on those and black bear too. :D

#17 ·
If you weren't confused before you should be by now (and welcome to the forum)
Stainless is good I have the 30-30, 44Mag, and 35 Rem in stainless. For deer and black bear I would have to give the edge to the 35 Remington. Next I like the 44 mag with the big bullets. It is bad to the bone, and a close 3rd is the 30-30.
Now would you like to start talking blued? I've got the above calibers and more. You will need a 22, then there's the 357. 44 Mag, 45 colt is nice, and the 45-70 well I've got a couple of them and when the XLR comes out oh yeah I will have another 45-70. One thing you don't "need" is a 444 :D
That will get some howls

#18 ·
You will love which ever one you buy now and will most likely add the other when you can. I have a bunch of Marlins and once you start shooting them so will you. Of the two you listed, I would take the 30-30 for the first of them do to utility, ammo availability, etc. and as others have said the 35 is a hard one to beat but don't know if that is even an option at this point. Final choice is whichever you decide and between the two I don't think you can go wrong.

#19 ·
This decision was made very simple for me today! My first Marlin is now a 336. I picked it up used today from a freind of mine for (drumroll please) $100.00 even. I'm not kidding. I'll probably spend my bonus money on the 1984SS in .44Mag eventually though.

#20 ·
It all depends on what type of guns you already have. If you have a 44 mag handgun, then the 1894 would compliment it. However, if this will be your only deer gun then get the 336! You will be pleasantly supprised at how accurate the 336 is. The 30-30 is fun to shoot, and will probably give you longer range capability than the 44 mag, if needed. Get them both!! You know you want to!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.