Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coupla' weeks ago, I bought a Foxpro Hammerjack electronic call. I picked out this particular unit because it has several **** calls.

I've been huntin' ***** for close to ten years, but I can't run with the big dogs anymore. I've got rheumatoid arthritis in my knees and a 75 yard hike to the mailbox and back is about all I can handle. That doesn't completely stop me from hunting, however. I'm going to try my hand at still hunting ***** and use the Foxpro to call them in.

Anybody have any experience with this call or with still hunting ***** with an electronic call?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Years ago I had two uncles that lived to **** hunt. They were in the woods every chance they got. Finally they reached a point they simply could not keep up with the dogs. So they each bought a mule and trained those mules to jump into the bed of their pickups just like a dog. They would head for the bottoms, turn the dogs loose, hop on those mules and chase ***** all night. Funniest thing you ever saw and I think they were in their eighties before they finally stopped **** hunting. They are both in that big **** country in the sky now but I don't know if they are still riding mules or not.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,701 Posts
Coupla' weeks ago, I bought a Foxpro Hammerjack electronic call. I picked out this particular unit because it has several **** calls.

I've been huntin' ***** for close to ten years, but I can't run with the big dogs anymore. I've got rheumatoid arthritis in my knees and a 75 yard hike to the mailbox and back is about all I can handle. That doesn't completely stop me from hunting, however. I'm going to try my hand at still hunting ***** and use the Foxpro to call them in.

Anybody have any experience with this call or with still hunting ***** with an electronic call?
Tonight, leave your garbage cans out and open within sight of your favorite front porch chair. Enjoy life to the hilt! Pretend you're Judge Roy Bean.

AC

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Back when we my brother and I were in our teens, a neighbor lent us his new fangled electronic caller to play with and see what we could bring in. We had one tape labeled "young **** in distress". Headed out at dusk and placed the call next to a cornfield where we knew ***** would feed. Turned on the call and were almost immediately mobbed by ***** coming out of the corn. We were too rattled to even get off a shot. Will never forget it.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Jim,
Man, I been an avid squirrel hunter all my life
I used to leave the house and make a big circle,
down the creek several miles, across some bottom land,
then up another branch and back to the house.
It took me the better part of a day if I left at daylight.
I got some health issues and I can't go off like
that no more.
When I was a kid, some of us had **** dogs and we'd
turn out and hunt all night.At daybreak, we'd call the dogs
in and figure out where we was and start the trek
out and back to the road so we could get a ride
home.
A night of all that running and bush whacking would about kill
me now.
I have me a trail or two cut thru the woods here close to the
house here, and a few further off I can ride the side by side
to get to.
I never hunted no ***** in the day, Man.
You ever give any thought to squirrel hunting?
They're better eating anyways...
You can hunt em with dogs too. I got me a terrier
goes with me all the time. He'll put me on one
quick too.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep hearin' stories about huntin' all night. It's one of three things: The dogs ain't worth two cents, there ain't no ***** or somebody is totin' a ton of ***** out the woods come day break.

When me and Jeff and Billy go, we kill one and go home. The reason for that is to conserve the game for future huntin'. It's been a MANY a night we was back at Jeff's house puttin' the dogs up an hour after we left. Susie and Speck don't mess around.

The very latest I've ever been gettin' home was 11:30 one night and that was because Penny ran one a mile and it took us over an hour to find her. Then we had a hour drive back to the house.

I'll tell you something else I hear, but ain't never seen. I've had fellas tell me they shoot the feet off 'em so they fall out of the tree. And they claim to do this with iron sighted rifles. I had one fella claim to do that and I called him out. "You take me with you one night and I'll show ya'." I called him three or four times that season and every time he had some reason he couldn't go.

I'll be the first one to show up when it's time to tell stories and tales and BS. But don't tell me you can hit a dime at a hundred yards with iron sights shootin' off hand 'cause I WILL call you out.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I keep hearin' stories about huntin' all night. It's one of three things: The dogs ain't worth two cents, there ain't no ***** or somebody is totin' a ton of ***** out the woods come day break.

When me and Jeff and Billy go, we kill one and go home. The reason for that is to conserve the game for future huntin'. It's been a MANY a night we was back at Jeff's house puttin' the dogs up an hour after we left. Susie and Speck don't mess around.

The very latest I've ever been gettin' home was 11:30 one night and that was because Penny ran one a mile and it took us over an hour to find her. Then we had a hour drive back to the house.

I'll tell you something else I hear, but ain't never seen. I've had fellas tell me they shoot the feet off 'em so they fall out of the tree. And they claim to do this with iron sighted rifles. I had one fella claim to do that and I called him out. "You take me with you one night and I'll show ya'." I called him three or four times that season and every time he had some reason he couldn't go.

I'll be the first one to show up when it's time to tell stories and tales and BS. But don't tell me you can hit a dime at a hundred yards with iron sights shootin' off hand 'cause I WILL call you out.

Jim-Man,

We did hunt all night, no lie.

But we didn't shoot the *****.
We just ran them and when the dogs treed, we got there, and took them off
a ways and turned them loose again.
My grandparents had 600 acres of bootom land and the kids I hunted with, their
folks had more and some of it joined that.
The creek bottom we hunted went for about 12 miles (wooded)
and we had free range of it.
There was no end to the wildlife back then. Nobody hunted it.
But it's way different now down there.
My family still owns 40 acres there and it's good for a
decent buck every year but I sit there in my stand and
think about those days.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
We did hunt all night, no lie. But we didn't shoot the *****.
Same here with my relatives as being in the woods with the dogs was their main goal. More often than not they never brought a **** out of the woods. Never heard of anyone shooting at a **** from a 100 yards at night...heck even with lights you couldn't even see one at that distance. If they did take a **** it was from under the tree at 20-30 feet. Being home within a hour or before midnight would be laughable to them. A lot of times they didn't even leave the house until midnight.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Same here with my relatives as being in the woods with the dogs was their main goal. More often than not they never brought a **** out of the woods. Never heard of anyone shooting at a **** from a 100 yards at night...heck even with lights you couldn't even see one at that distance. If they did take a **** it was from under the tree at 20-30 feet. Being home within a hour or before midnight would be laughable to them. A lot of times they didn't even leave the house until midnight.

Yeah, we was just kids not even old enough to drive, and we
all worked (not like kids now, LOL) all summer and it gets
hot down here.
We just went and did this now and then to get out at night
when it's nice and cool.
We didn't care about killing the *****.
If we had killed them to eat it would have only been one or two.
And Like Jim, we would have went home right then and cleaned him.
But we just wanted to listen to the dogs and run around
in the cool night air and enjoy the freedom of our youth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.