Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my first Marlin 1895 45/70 and noticed the loading gate seems really stiff. I am well versed in firearms...... except for lever actions. Can anyone help me out? Everytime I put a round through the loading gate, it leaves huge scratches on the brass and I have even seen brass flakes left on my fingers. Is it as simple as loosening the gate screw or do I need to order a new gate?

Thanks!

One more question, completely off topic but if someone can tell me where I can find kevlar furniture for a 1895 it would be awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey tevan0707,

I picked up a brand new 1895GS a few months ago and had the same problem. I tore the gun completely down and polished all the internal parts. For the loading gate on the inside I was having the same problem with it scratching the brass. If you take a fine file to the inside then take 2000 grit sand paper (the finest I had laying around) and use your finger to smooth it out with the contour of the gate you will be fine. For the actual loading gate door... I took mine and put it in a vice and very very easily bent it back with light preasure. Not enough to even notice it. Just do that about 3 times and it loosens it up enough to where it isn't stiff anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to give it a shot. Thanks for the info. But what did you use to polish up the internal parts? I need to do that too cuz the lever is awful sticky when you first try to cycle it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use Mothers Aluminum polish. Believe me it's the best polish out there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts