Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new .44 1894ss in March. An issue with the extractor kept it out of commission until recently (factory extractor wouldn't extract even unfired rounds, ended up ordering a new one, it was back ordered). Now that I have a working extractor I've been shooting it for the first time, and I have a new problem. Remington UMC ammo often extracts very hard, like prying a nail out of an old board, 6 out of 10 rounds. Winchester ammo extracts hard maybe 3 out of 10. The rest extract smoothly and easily. One shot was so hard to extract that the extractor pulled a chip out of the rim of the brass, and I had to drive it the rest of the way out with a dowel. Is this a dangerous condition? Can I smooth the chamber out or something, is this part of the break-in process, or does it need to go back to Marlin?

I have a 336 and a 1894c and never encountered these problems.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
That sounds like a bad chamber to me.............Contact remington and ask for a mailer and send it back.......Thats either a chamber or head space issue.

Tom

Reactions: freddeh

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Tomray said:
That sounds like a bad chamber to me.............Contact remington and ask for a mailer and send it back.......Thats either a chamber or head space issue.
Exactly. Make them make it right, and bring up the prior problem as well, to show this rifle already has a bad history. Don't cut them any slack, it NEVER should have left the factory! :mad:

Reactions: freddeh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. That's not the answer I wanted to hear but it sounds like the only thing to do. I'm sending it back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: So I sent my rifle back to the factory with a list of my complaints. I also mentioned to them that I had to "double clutch" quite often to get it to load and that the factory front sight was loose enough to move around with just your fingers. I got the rifle back yesterday and could see that they had done some work on it. The front sight was tight, I could see they had chamfered the chamber, and they said they had polished the chamber and adjusted the lever and extractor. I took it out shooting today, and while the extraction of the first shot of that UMC ammo was slightly stiff and had me worried, every shot after that was smooth and easy. I went through a box of the UMC, one of Winchester white box, and some lead flat point and 240 grain semiwadcutters I had, about 250 rounds in all. It chewed through all of it smoothly, easily, and without a hiccup.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The more you shoot it and work the action, the better it will do.

kenken

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Freddah,

Glad to hear it running well for you now.........

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love a happy ending! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to say but this happy ending has turned into a nightmare. With continued shooting the sticky extraction continued to be a problem. I mean its hard to enjoy shooting a lever action when you take 4 or 5 shots and then on the next one you practically have to pry the empty case out with both hands on the lever. So I sent it back to the factory again. I picked it up at my local gun store today, and it was ugly. For reasons unknown, they took off the beautiful-grained and well-fitted original buttstock and replaced it with an off color, plain, ill-fitting one. Worse yet, it was badly cracked through the thin part where it attaches to the receiver. It looks like they didn't fit it right and then screwed it down too tight. It literally flops around up and down now. I immediately called customer service and they took my information and told me to send it back to be repaired again. I'd really rather have my money back at this point, and told them so. They said all they could do was evaluate it and repair or replace it. I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, and the guy told me he didn't have one. "You don't?" "Not for this issue, sir." I asked him his name and the phone got "disconnected."

My question for you guys is this: Has anyone been able to get a refund out of Remington for one of these remlins? If so, how did you do it? Who can I talk to?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
This is why you should take pictures of your firearms before they go anywhere.

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
Next time you call ask for Mr. Matouchek maybe he can help. One poster said he talked to Matouchek and when his guns came back from being repaired they were AWESOME.

·
Premium Member
16,792 Posts
Hey Fred,

There are several MO members that posted name and contact numbers for Marlin repairs.

One or more should weigh in soon.

They should hire TomRay and gang back. Then these lemons would be fixed right, before being offered to the public.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I got an email from Remington and it looks like they are going to give me a refund once I ship the rifle back to them. I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Fred, sorry to hear about your problems with your Remlin. Might want to check out Henry or Rossi if you can not find a decent used JM Marlin.
Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fred, sorry to hear about your problems with your Remlin. Might want to check out Henry or Rossi if you can not find a decent used JM Marlin.
Good luck.
Thanks Moondoggie, but I already have a few older marlins and I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. This stainless remlin was easily the prettiest rifle of all of them, it just didn't work right. Now that its uglier, and broken stocked, and with 2 prior trips to the factory in its first year, I just don't have any good feelings left for it.

And I wish you hadn't mentioned Henry. I bought a used Golden Boy a couple years ago that had a tendency to jam a lot, contacted Henry with a mind to pay them to fix it for me, ended up dealing directly with the president of that company and he took great care of me, fixed and improved that rifle (added a new brass barrel band) for free. Great customer service at Henry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts