Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
recently purchased a glen field model 20 , the magazine that came with it was damaged and would not feed correctly. i purchased a replacement and it is extremely difficult to release. any tips or ideas what to look at to make this easier?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
recently purchased a glen field model 20 , the magazine that came with it was damaged and would not feed correctly. i purchased a replacement and it is extremely difficult to release. any tips or ideas what to look at to make this easier?

Make sure there are no deformities in the new magazine and compare the two: particularly the top of the release lever that engages the magazine catch. It also could be the magazine catch is bent but if the original releases easily it's probably something about the new one. Could be it just needs the "new" worn off, too. I have some newer mags that were "tight" and just had to get worn in. BTW what is the issue with the old one? Bent lips, broken follower, etc?

Reactions: P-bass

·
Registered
71 Posts

Try taking the stock off and adjusting the magazine catch, very slightly. The newer magazines fit a little differently than the old ones. To loosen the fit bend the vertical bar towards the trigger, just a small amount, and then insert and try the magazine. I had the opposite problem. My magazine would not stay engaged to feed the next round. Also make sure the catch is aligned correctly, and the screw holding it is snug. And don't overdo the adjustment, as the catch may break. Replacements are available tho, at Numrich.

Also, check that the magazine release is working properly. That the release bar opens up when you press the release. The spring may be out of place. Fixing that is a pita. I had to do that on a magazine too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The original had been"adjusted" before i got it and would not release the next round so i did a little "adjustment " but wasn't satisfied with what i did. I wanted an extra magazine anyway

I'll try adjusting the catch and wearing the new off. I checked the release and it seems to work fine although a little more area to push would make it easier to operate.

edit, the magazine that came with the rifle was a replacement not an original.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought 4 new mags for my Glendfield 20 a few months ago. I was having a hard time getting them to seat in the magwell. The more I played with them the easier they got to seat right. Now I learned how to hold the mags while putting them in the well and I have no problems at all. I didn't have to adjust anything on the mags and they work great now.
Practice putting the mags in and out, you will get the feel on how to do this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sticking magazine fixed

Problem solved, after taking the action from the stock i discovered that both magazines installed and released a smooth as butter. Looking closer and doing some trial and error i found that the front screw hole for the floor plate was drilled off center causing the magazines to bind on the side of the plate. A couple toothpicks and some wood filler and i am ready to drill the hole correctly. just waiting for the wood filler to dry now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts