Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stevens "Walnut Hill" .22 LR

New toy. Stevens "Walnut Hill" in .22 Long Rifle. Bore is excellent, trigger is excellent. Blueing about 90%. Stock is poor. Someone has cut it off about 1 1/2" and got someone from the Home Economics class to install a junk recoil pad. I have already roughed out a "Left Hand" Stock and new forearm to replace this junk. I got this one right for a change.

DG :)

·
Registered
932 Posts

Hey Smoke,
You let me know when you get that thing stocked proper with that left handed stock cause I'll make you a good trade on it. I have a Stevens 15 and a warm 6 pack of Jax beer I'll trade you for it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Smoke: I'l be curious as to how it shoots. My WH was erratic on paper. I traced it to a weak mainspring and poor ignition. (A heads-up!) ~Andrew

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Andrew

If it shoots anything like the 414 Armories I have I wouldn't complain. This rifle has a much better trigger than the Armories and the bore is excellent.

DG
Andrew said:
Smoke: I'l be curious as to how it shoots. My WH was erratic on paper. I traced it to a weak mainspring and poor ignition. (A heads-up!) ~Andrew

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sarge

Here is an update!

DG

Sarge said:
Hey Smoke,
You let me know when you get that thing stocked proper with that left handed stock cause I'll make you a good trade on it. I have a Stevens 15 and a warm 6 pack of Jax beer I'll trade you for it.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Oh, that's gonna be nice Smoke. Hell, I may throw in a brick of wildcat .22 ammo on the trade. I had an old armory model when I was younger that I squirrel hunted with all the time. It was very accurate. I think I sold it to buy bread and milk.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

BTT w/ updated pictures

DG

·
Registered
69 Posts

Wow...that new stock u made sure looks good on the rifle. Nice werk!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh Sarge

Sarge

Eat your heart out.

DG :D

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

Smoke,
Do you think that original cut down stock was factory Stevens, or was it a donor from something else? Looks a lot like a stock from a 336 or 39a Marlin, cut down up front, and fitted to the Stevens.
Great gun though! I'd love to find a 417, if one ever slips through your fingers!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Vall

I believe it is what was left of the original stock. Someone cut off 1 1/2". Looking at the pictures of the 417 in in Philipe Sharp's book "The Rifle in America" on page 364C, it looks to be the same. I got this one at a very good price, excellent bore, blue about 80%, set trigger (very light indeed).
The forearm had an adjustable hand stop and had been modified with the barrel band part cut off.
Don

marlinman93 said:
Smoke,
Do you think that original cut down stock was factory Stevens, or was it a donor from something else? Looks a lot like a stock from a 336 or 39a Marlin, cut down up front, and fitted to the Stevens.
Great gun though! I'd love to find a 417, if one ever slips through your fingers!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

I wondered if the barrel band was gone, but couldn't see in the pictures. Yes, it does look just like the pictures in Sharpe's book. Did you find it online, or at a local place near you?

·
Registered
932 Posts

Smoke,
You shouldn't be so mean to a poor old man like me.
Beautiful rifle and you did a great job on that stock.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Vall

It showed up on gunbroker. The guy posted 3 or 4 real out of focus pictures. I called him and asked for pictures in focus. It looked pretty good, so I bid $390 and got it. He never changed the ones on the auction and no one bid higher.

Don

marlinman93 said:
I wondered if the barrel band was gone, but couldn't see in the pictures. Yes, it does look just like the pictures in Sharpe's book. Did you find it online, or at a local place near you?

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts

Excellent job, smoke - keep the pics coming... :D

Shum8

·
Registered
128 Posts

Great work Smoke! Made one like that for a Martini cept the cheek piece was on the other side. Tarheel

·
Registered
579 Posts

Smoke mine is second from left and is a nice rifle. Originally in 22 Hornet, it is now in 218 bee. It has a perfect bore and is some shooter. moodyholler

·
Registered
579 Posts

Before I get flamed about 44 actions, these are a little larger than the normal 44 actions. It also gets a diet of cast bullets and light loads although the older gentleman who owned ot 50 years shot factory W-W through it with no problems and no signs of looseness. moodyholler

1 - 20 of 22 Posts