Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pricing Marlin's for a few weeks now and it's become clear to me that the prices represented in the Blue Book of Gun Values are not representative of actual market conditions. I fired off an email explaining that modern Marlin rifles should be in at least 3 categories:

Reminton mfg Marlins
JM Marlins with crossbolt safety
JM Marlins pre-crossbolt safety

From everything I'm seeing, the crossbolt JM's of corresponding condition sell for 40-50% more than REP Marlins and pre-crossbolt JM's sell for 75-100% more and up. Now my research is limited to just what I've been able to find the last few weeks and I would greatly appreciate feedback from those with much more knowledge & experience to either validate my observations or provide more accurate information. They are going to contact me tomorrow to discuss my suggestions about the changing the value estimates based on the categories above and any knowledgeable input would be great.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Honestly I have always found those books were irrelevant and am surprised that people still buy them. Maybe 20 years ago they had some use but not now. Sounds like they want you to do their research for them, what are they paying?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I have always found those books were irrelevant and am surprised that people still buy them. Maybe 20 years ago they had some use but not now. Sounds like they want you to do their research for them, what are they paying?
LOL, pay me? You got it right about doing their research for them but lots of folks I know reference them quite often and if it helps a Marlin buyer make a more informed decision, then I'm happy to share what I've learned.

·
Banned
297 Posts
IMHO after 60 years of messing with guns, The Bluebook was designed by gun dealers to screw people wanting to sell guns. A few years ago I remember seeing that a 100% original, mint, pre WW I, 1903 Springfield was an $800 item ..... that was right after I had just sold a duplicate from my collection ..... A 1909 original 30-03 for $2500. Today, worth twice that !

LOL!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Don't get me started on thee Bluebook of Gun Values! Try and find a listing for values on Marlin Ballards. If you can't, then maybe go to their new book that covers antique gun values, and see what it says? If you can't find a listing in either book, don't feel bad! It seems that Steve Fjestad and Co. don't think it's worth their time, or too much trouble to add them.
I had a long conversation with them 30 years ago about why a gun so prolific, and highly desirable wasn't mentioned in their book. Their answer was, "There's too many variations, and many have been customized. So we don't think it's fair to cover them." ***? So because a gun can be modified, and many are, you just refuse to even cover the original models so people could tell the difference? I even offered to write up descriptions of models, and assist in setting prices, but they just weren't interested. Funny that they added clones of the original Ballard, but refuse to add the originals! Stupid, and lazy.
I had high hopes that after Norm Flayderman passed, and Flayderman's Guide to Antique Firearms ended, that Fjestad and Co. would correct their error in an antique guide. But once again they decided to do an incomplete version of a guide to gun values, and simply leave the Marlin Ballard out. These people are either very lazy, or very ignorant, and I wont buy their books as long as they continue to be.

Reactions: mearl

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If you want to find the "true" value of any particular firearm, the data is here and there and everywhere for the taking. MO and every other forum is filled with years of data left by proud new owners of various firearms and more often than not they post pictures and the price they paid. All ya have to do is search for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
IMHO after 60 years of messing with guns, The Bluebook was designed by gun dealers to screw people wanting to sell guns. A few years ago I remember seeing that a 100% original, mint, pre WW I, 1903 Springfield was an $800 item ..... that was right after I had just sold a duplicate from my collection ..... A 1909 original 30-03 for $2500. Today, worth twice that !

LOL!
I couldn't have said it better. I have seen dealers use them to screw uneducated buyers on multiple occasions, only to turn around and mark the item up several times what they paid for it. To the collector or hobbyist those books are garbage and are not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Its worth what ever you are willing to pay for it. I like all JM stamped Marlins. The cross bolt safety is not appealing but you can remove it and put a saddle ring in its place as I have done on one of mine. I only own one Remlin and I had it worked over by RPP now its very cool. I got it in .357 mag cause they are hard to get as a 41 mag or 32 H&R Mag at a decent price. I now have a 41 FG Sweet shooter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with John Allen today of BBGV and he was very interested in adjusting their evaluations of Marlins to reflect the REP, JM w/ Crossbolt & JM pre-crossbolt and indicated that they would create these differentiation for their new book and bump the values accordingly. Interestingly, he also asked about Ballards and if I knew anyone who would be knowledgeable enough to help him with those rifles. I told him of marlinman's comment in this thread and he stated that he would love to talk to him and that the would be willing to add them based on the information he gathers from that conversation. I was pretty skeptical of them as well but, whatever you might think of the BB guys, they seemed reasonably conscientious in their responses to me.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Don't know John Allen, but that is the first person who's expressed any interest in adding Ballard rifles to their book. They do have a email from me in which I complained about their lack of coverage in either book, and I did sign it with my full name. So somebody there has my name and contact info, along with my feelings on their omission. Would love to talk with John Allen, if he's willing to add Marlin Ballard rifles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know John Allen, but that is the first person who's expressed any interest in adding Ballard rifles to their book. They do have a email from me in which I complained about their lack of coverage in either book, and I did sign it with my full name. So somebody there has my name and contact info, along with my feelings on their omission. Would love to talk with John Allen, if he's willing to add Marlin Ballard rifles.
I just PM'd you his phone number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts