Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had predetermined to do 2 things to the new 1100 as soon as I could.
  1. Replace the trigger with:
    • a CDT GTX-III
    • or the bearing fix
  2. Refinish the stock

• Darker Color
  • finish the inside surfaces
Step "1" was completed last night. I installed the GTX-III trigger. Just as everyone had said it was a "Piece of Cake" ... •• NOT ••

At least one step. Getting the pivot pin for the trigger back in was a small war right up until the time it just slid in place like it was supposed to.

I watched 3 or 4 videos on the install and read the instructions. Everything went great. Disassembly was quick and painless. Getting the trigger out after breaking the barrel just slightly was a snap. Trigger pins all came out as advertised. Removed the adjustment screw as directed. Put the removed "fat" pin back in place on the new GTX and started the trigger back in place. Went right into place without a hitch. Now to put the pivot pin back.

Could not get the holes in the trigger, the trigger housing and the trigger release to line up. I tried I don't know how many times changing sides, changing hands holding the trigger and pushing the pin, changing fingers pushing the pin, trying run a small screwdriver in the hole and line up the trigger and other methods. Nothing but nothing worked. I had tried moving the cocking mechanism back and forth just a little trying to get stuff to line up but that had not helped.

So finally after total frustration had set in I moved the barrel into locked firing position. The pivot pin nearly inserted itself. I felt like such an idiot.

After I got the job completed I went back and watched the videos and reread the instructions. On the videos the guys were inserting the pin with the barrel broken. I really don't know how they were doing that. Wish one of all the things I had watched and read had said something about it. I didn't notice any of the barrels locked and in straight in the videos.

Oh well - live and learn. Will go out this afternoon and give the new trigger a trial.

I hope the refinish does not present any problems in proportion to this ... I'll be a couple of months getting that done after I start. LOL

***** NOTE: Found out the next day my problems had only begun. The saga continues with the link below.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...ened-p-l-e-s-e-gtx-iii-great.html#post1721213

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
For me to do anything on the bench I need my reading glasses and really good lighting, and my iPad to use as a camera and maybe instructions!

·
Registered
769 Posts
My Discovery has a small leak. Had it when I bought it. On full 2000lbs in 3 or 4 days it will be below 1000. I have been tempted to get the re-seal kit and give it a go. Funny I can do almost anything with a powder gun but am skeered of these lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts