Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That only 'steel above the receiver' thing is more fetish than a choice.
Maybe, but I choose not to count clicks,not to hold over/under,not to have play in my sight,not to use inferior material,not to make many sighting shots. Try to make my primer money and gas money go as resourcefully as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I bought a Williams 5D many years ago from a mom/pop gun store in south Texas. Did not realize the base was aluminum. As one might predict, it failed. I contacted Williams that I might purchase another base and was denied. So I've got a Williams 5D bridge with aperature but no base to mount it to. AND to this day I have never purchased another Williams product!! Long live steel.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have several receiver sights, several brands. Antique, modern.
Steel, aluminium. The steel sights look better, the aluminium surface wears faster.
Blue steel looks better than black aluminum.
As far as function, over decades of using both I have found neither material to be superior to the other, neither sight is more accurate than the other.
Sure, if you take a hammer to aluminum it will fail sooner than steel. If you give your firearms reasonable care one will last as long as the other.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Revolver

Carbon Auto part Bumper Automotive lighting Rim
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
Use your steel sight as a rangefinder. A 1/16" bead mounted on a Marlin 1894, 1895, or 336 with a peep rear ( 20 inch barrel) covers a deer's body backbone to belly at 125 yards. The shoulder is inside the bead. If your 1/16" bead covers more deer than that, sneak in closer for the shot or pass it up. I found the big 1/8" factory bead to be generally useless, needing to be replaced with the smaller bead for more shooting precision .

If you're lucky enough to own an Enfield, the engineers at RSAF did the figuring for you.

Gesture Font Symbol Emblem Art
Sleeve Gesture Font Art Rectangle

·
Registered
245 Posts
I first used Williams Foolproof on a Winchester 94 in 1964 and have used them or the WGRS (Williams Guide Receiver Sight) on various rifles since then. I have had no problems with them, ever. Well, except for the time I was prone' sighting on a nice little buck and couldn't see through the peep; took the rifle down off my shoulder and found a leaf inside the aperture. Not the fault of the sight by any means.

I also put a Williams 5D on one rifle, because I couldn't afford the Foolproof. It was okay also. Just because it didn't have the click adjustments didn't make it any less useful. Since I don't change the sights once the rifle is sighted in with a load that it likes, the slide adjustment didn't bother me. Incidentally, the 5D designation came about because, at a time when the Foolproof cost $20, the other was only $5, hence a 5 Dollar sight. There is your trivia for the day!

~Kees~

P.s. I have a Lyman 66 on my Winchester 88 because Williams doesn't make the Foolproof (or WGRS) for that rifle anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts