Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolf and TulAmmo have cheap steel cased truncated cone ammo that looks promising for target and plinking.
I'm wondering if this will feed OK in my 1894 357.....also any damage to the gun?
Is there any reason not to shoot this ammo in large quantities?
......Thanks for any help.....this is my first post, but I've enjoyed reading and learning from Y'All....

Grits

·
Registered
518 Posts
Make damn sure the primers are non corrosive. That being said steel cases are covered in warnish so there should be no metal to metal contact per ce, but keep the chamber clean.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Imho, steel cases were made for guns with sloppy actions...they go bang but might not be the most accurate ammo you can waste your money on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Low.....
Maybe I should ask this differently......
What is a good inexpensive plinking round that will FEED and eject reliably and be accurate enough to take out life threatening tin cans?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Properly heat treated steel cases and steel jacketed bullets are almost the same hardness (softness) as their brass and copper alloy counterparts. Steel cases do not contract as well as brass casings after firing and cause some extraction issues. This is where the coatings on steel ammo come in as a form as lubrication. I personally consider steel cased ammo as second class to their brass cousins. There are stories out their saying they are hard on extractors and there have been torture tests of endurance shooting 1,000s of rounds of 5.56mm on AR platform guns that show no negative issues. I would do a comparison tests yourself, and do some internet searches of reliable sites. AC

·
Registered
653 Posts
The feeding question will only be positively answered by you, using your rifle. With respect to truncated cone ammo, it should feed well there being no bumps or edges to hang up. Just my 2 cents, worth exactly the price you paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
24,411 Posts
Reactions: Travlin and clawed

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Have you tried .38 Special in your rifle? If there are no problems it is cheaper than .357 and it will kill cans just as dead.

BTW Welcome to Marlin owners.

Reactions: Grits

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I personally dont like steel casings, they dont expand as readily as brass, the end results can be 'cartridge to chamber' contact, effecting pressures and accuracy.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Someone once gave me a large number of steel .45 ACP. empties. I think they were military. Since they were clean, I loaded them once with a carbide sizer and then let them fall. I was shooting a nice 1917 Colt at the time and didn't use them in my National Match 1911.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
That was not a wrong answer--he simply gave you another option.
yup. You'd be better off buying brass, cheap bullets, and a hand loading kit and rolling your own. It's easy, fun, and growing pains are minimal. Unless you are independently wealthy (if you're considering steel cases, not likely) it just makes good sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Properly heat treated steel cases and steel jacketed bullets are almost the same hardness (softness) as their brass and copper alloy counterparts. Steel cases do not contract as well as brass casings after firing and cause some extraction issues. This is where the coatings on steel ammo come in as a form as lubrication. I personally consider steel cased ammo as second class to their brass cousins. There are stories out their saying they are hard on extractors and there have been torture tests of endurance shooting 1,000s of rounds of 5.56mm on AR platform guns that show no negative issues. I would do a comparison tests yourself, and do some internet searches of reliable sites. AC
...Thanks....this is the kind of info I"m needing.

The feeding question will only be positively answered by you, using your rifle. With respect to truncated cone ammo, it should feed well there being no bumps or edges to hang up. Just my 2 cents, worth exactly the price you paid for it.
....Thank You....I was unsure about the TC shape feeding properly

You will load eventually if you want to shoot a lot and not spend big$$$'s Save those empties.
I'm sorry and apologize to you if I came across short about reloading.....but at age 69 "eventually" is already here. Also, as a disabled PTSD Marine Viet Nam combat veteran, I just don't have the patience. BTW....I served in VN from Jan '68 til Mar '69 (both tet offensives) .....As a door gunner on a Huey gunship, I shouldn't be here......and I've likely fired more rounds (Browning 30 cal) than most here. Many times I had to change barrels with asbestos glove when it turned orange....
Going out and plinking these days is relaxing....but reloading is stressful ....
Thanks again for helping me find an inexpensive and acceptable compromise round....

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from New York.

You have received very good info. These are your guns, so you can do what you want with your guns, money and time. Your age and Service match up with a lot of members here.

By the way when you were burning up and turning those barrels orange, you were burning up all of my money.
:biggrin:

Thank you for your service along with the rest of us. :tee:

Reactions: Grits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the Forum, from New York.

You have received very good info. These are your guns, so you can do what you want with your guns, money and time. Your age and Service match up with a lot of members here.

By the way when you were burning up and turning those barrels orange, you were burning up all of my money.
:biggrin:

Thank you for your service along with the rest of us. :tee:

yes, I was burning up (wasting) your money and mine....and at a very rapid rate when I was scared. I would connect 5 ammo cans (linked) together so I could fire without stopping for a very few minutes....
.....But at the time I was thinking more about my life than your money.....Thanks for providing me with LOTS of ammo !!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for your service Grits from another vet (but before Nam) and I'm happy to have done my part in providing you LOTS of ammo. Just wanted to add though that at 69 you are not too old to start reloading. I started at 73 and am having fun with it. Maybe not as much fun as shooting the results but still enjoyable. Also, after adjusting to the attention required, I actually find it relaxing rather than stressful. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts