Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for a 1 piece blued STEEL scope base that is "Weaver style" (Picatinny)? I am aware of the aluminum bases, but wasn't aware if a blued steel model was made by anyone. There are several picatinny-style one piece steel bases for Rem 700 and Win 70's (ie Farrell) that run ~ $75.

If no one makes it now, maybe someone will read this and start doing it. Add this to my "Marlin Christmas Wish List."

I also wish Lyman would make a steel receiver sight that woud fit a Marlin 336/1895, so you could mount a scope in a Weaver-style base/ring outfit (for easy removal),and go right to the peep sight. No tang sights, and no "scout scope, extended scopes" allowed.

The receiver sight may be something like a model 75, with an extension arm that woud bring the horizontal (windage) bar behind the rearmost part of the scope base (and still not interfere with the hammer). The Lyman 75 used a tapered base on the side of round receivers (mostly 22 semi-target rifles), and had a knob for screwing into the tapered base.

Anyone from Lyman read this board? Anyone in the steel Weaver scope base business read this board? Hope so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take a close look at MIDWAY products. I mounted the scope on my Glenfield with 2 piece "Weaver style" bases and rings by Millett. Very solid and she holds her zero every year.

Just type midway shooting supplies and their home page will come up.
Jack

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take a close look at MIDWAY products. I mounted the scope on my Glenfield with 2 piece "Weaver style" bases and rings by Millett. Very solid and she holds her zero every year.

Just type midway shooting supplies and their home page will come up.
Jack

·
Registered
76 Posts
XS Sight Systems has a few sights that mount directly to a weaver base. There is one would hang over the back like you describe, but I'm not sure if it was meant to. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be used with their scout mount, and would generally be supported by the receiver, but it might be sturdy enough to hang off the back. They also have one that would sit on top of the rail. They are not exactly target sights, and you might have to mount the sight after you remove the scope, if there's not enough room on your rail, but it's as close as I can get!

Good luck.

Matthew

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think Leupold makes a steel Weaver style base. Of course they also make some great dovetail bases. Check out there website.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Assuming you are asking about Marlin lever guns, the only 1 piece Weaver bases I know of are the blanks available from Brownells. All others I have seen are the 2 piece types which can be found at either Brownells or MidwayUSA.

There are a couple of peep sights that mount on Weaver bases. One is from XS Sight Systems:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=48&title=WEAVER+BACKUP+BASE
The other is from NECG:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=111883

·
Registered
331 Posts
scope mounts

I would also like a set up where I could use quick release rings and a rear peep site that mounted to the base mount. Here is what I discoverd hope this may be helpfull.

I hunted the first year with the XI or ashley gost ring setup on my 336D. It was great for close work but with middle aged eyes I decided on mounting a scope.

I started with a VXII 1-4 scope and millet low angle-loc rings and a leupold rifleman base. The Leupold base was the only weaver style base that extended pass the recever enough to allow for proper eye relief. I have broad shoulders so my face gets quite close to the reciver. After mounting the scope I relized the scope was to high for me, my cheek was not even touching the gun stock very unnatural for me. The weaver and other low rings were to wide again moving the scope to far back or me.

Next I went with leupold dove tail base and low mounts this lowerd the scope say 3/16 of a inch this worked much better BUT the extra low mounts would be 1/16" lower and would provide me with a better or more naturaly sight plan. I Know eveyone needs to customize there setup for their needs, but I do not understand high mounted scopes on guns that have stocks designed for sighting right down the barrel (low) on iron sights. Or heavy high power scopes on light short to medium range guns.
A fixed 2.5or 4X, scope would be great or a veriable between 1-5 would even be more efective at either 20 yards or 200 yards and would help to mantain the balance of the gun.

·
Registered
736 Posts
buttstock,

It just so happens that I have made a one-piece steel base for a Marlin 1895. I think Brownells sells a steel picatinny blank that would require cutting to correct length, milling off any excess height, and drill/countersink mounting holes on location. A decent gunsmith or machinist can do this for you, or I can do it if you wish. Send me a PM and we'll talk.

I also toyed with the idea of creating a scope mount base with integral flip-up aperture rear sight. That really would be the berries - remove the scope in QD rings and have an instant aperture backup sight. I may be coerced into making this concept a reality, but I would advise you that it will not be a "cheap" endeavor. Each piece will be hand-made on precision milling equipment. I am not setup to do high volume manufacturing, although I could be if it proved worth-while. I've been in tooling and engineering for 30 years, with a degree in automated manufacturing technology. My passion for things that go bang reaches even further back.

Live well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts