Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone no of a reputable smith that can do a take down besides wild west? if so I would appreciate contact info. would like to have on of those and my new stbl just fits the bill. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
David, I've had a couple of my lever guns worked on by Mic McPherson, and the work was superior for sure. Mic's been working on Marlin's for a long time. Don't know if he does take down conversion's, but bet he would do it. I'd drop him an email and see what he say's. Tell him you got his name from Joel on Marlin Owner's. [email protected] , give him a shout and see, can't hurt all he can say is yes or no. You could also try Lew at Grizzly customs or clement custom guns, and ranger point precision is another. Good luck and keep us informed on the progress of the rifle.
Joel B.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you don't mind me askin', why take Wild West out of the equation?
I know the conversion isn't rocket science but I would want to go somewhere that has done many, many conversions.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Mine was done at WWG... they are EXPENSIVE!!!!

Doc

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not takin out of picture, but that is the only place i no of. Since its not rocket science id like to have choices, and yes money is a factor! They have a lot more overhead due to advertising , employees, etc. which generally means inflated prices in this type of business. So a smith with less overhead might mean enough savings for the new 400 dollar case they want to sell for your new toy. At wild west guns. My pockets are deep from digging in them looking for money not because there full of it. They do good work im sure, but there are others that do it as well, hopefully for a fraction of cost.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Might also look into how they do the Take Down. I feel much better about mine with uninterrupted threads. It does mean taking the time to turn it more for TD or putting together but just seems like it is better to keep all the threading rather than lose a quarter or more of it. Just my preference. image.jpg This one came from a pawn shop and was sold as a standard used for 300.00. I had a very good local gunsmith, Andy Hawk inspect, clean up the action and trigger, install a good recoil pad. It came with the fine peep sight set up and sling set up. The case is from spotting scope. This a 30-30, trapper and perfect for small aircraft travel and having a spare rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts