Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to have a Marlin 1894CB that I got tempted on another gun so I traded it. I know how stupid I am, I really miss that gun now. I have a 1955 39A Mountie that I Love and 2 Rossi's 1 in 44 Mag and 1 in 357 Mag. All these rifles are great and I do not have a problem with any of them. I really wanted a Winchester though and saw a model 94 in 32 WS. I put the gun in layaway before I really knew anything about it. After leaving the LGS and getting home I started looking up the gun on the good old internet. What I read was not flattering about the cartridge and or the year of the gun 1965. Just really lost faith in it. I still wanted another lever gun so I went back to my LGS and found a new Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I ended up switching the Winchester for the Marlin. I looked at the Marlin and it was a 100% a Remlin. I have always liked anything that I have tried in Remington and thought that eventually they would get the Marlins worked out. I will be proud to try this Remlin out and see what she is like, can't wait to get her out of jail. Fit and finish appear to be very good although I did not get to cycle her (the LGS uses plastic wire ties so that you can not actuate the lever) but he will take care of me if something is wrong, I do a ton of business with him. Anyway just a comment and a story so far but I am going to give the Remington Marlin a good shot, I know they did not invest in the Marlin company to make a worse product and or run the company into the ground. I like Remington and Marlin company both.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another GOOD LUCK, the one I saw looked good, just no fun money at the moment.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have several JM Marlins and I have a beautiful Remington 700 that shoots better than I do. Have not looked at or handled the Rem/Marlins. You just got to get it and shoot it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good Luck. You are going to Need it. If you can get beyond 500 rounds with no problems, then you most likely got a good one. I’ll be watching this thread. They’ve had my 1894 for 6 months now.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
Well, I wish you all the best and I do hope you get a good one.

Myself, I won't buy anything I can't test drive but I'm just stubborn like that. Be sure to post pics and a range report.

Jack

Reactions: GaCop and dpe.ahoy

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am curious to fellas, heard a lot of bad reviews but most of the recent reviews have been good. I have my fingers crossed, they are in business to make money and the only way to do that is produce a better rifle than what they have started out with.
I believe it will take me a couple of weeks to get it paid for I have been on a buying binge here lately.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The Marlin lever guns I have seen in the past few weeks/ 2 months have been real nice. I would not hesitate to buy one of these. My not so LGS has a used 1894 on sale for $550 and a new one for $585. He is a big cowboy action shop and sell a ton of these type of guns. I suspect that if these had been .357 instead of 44 mag, they would both be gone.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I decided to buy a new Marlin after searching high and low for a nice used one and not finding it. My 336W will not win any beauty contests with its laminate stocks and matte finished metal, but it shoots straight. After all, that's the important thing. It's got a pretty nice trigger, and the action cycles smoothly. Hope you get a good one, too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Even if they got everything straight and smooth, and got the wood to metal gap tight on the stocks, the quality and finish of the stocks and the stamping are the one area Remington seems to have insisted on cutting corners, and is the one big giveaway when I'm looking at a gun online to determine if it was a JM gun or not. I still see NIB or LNIB JM guns online for sale...they are out there if you really wanted one. If you are happy with the current quality, then that's great, too.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Congrat's. on your new Marlin! But, you said after researching, you lost faith in the Win. 94 in .32 special. Except for the challenge of finding ammo (but it can be found) what's not to like about a .32 special in a 94 Winchester?

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really have never even seen the .32 WS round until the other day when I put the gun on layaway. After reading a little more about the Winchesters I do think I will get one but it is not high on my list and it will be a pre 64 and not the 65 model. They were trying to many new things on cost cutting on the 65.
Karma is a funny thing anyway, I took the Winchester 94 out of layaway and put a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum in layaway. Even though I had just purchased a Rossi SS Hexagon barrel in 44 Magnum the day before. I ordered the Rossi over the internet, when it came to my LGS and I picked it up it was still sealed in the factory box. I took it home read the label on the box at the LGS of course, the box said the 44 Magnum model # and that it was a 44 Magnum on the Label. I took the gun out of the box cleaned it up and attempted to put a 44 Magnum round in it. The round got stuck in the loading gate. After prying the round out and looking the rifle over I noticed on the barrel it said, .38/.357 Magnum. So I ordered a 44 magnum and the internet site sold me a 44 magnum, but the factory packed a 357 magnum in the box. The box has the correct serial # of the gun on the box but it is a 357 Magnum. So I guess it is good Karma that I put the Marlin 44 Magnum in Layaway. The internet site said that they will send me a return tag for the gun on their dime that this is the second one in this batch that they got in that was miss marked on the box. I told him that I did not want a refund but an exchange. He stated that he did not have anymore and that he very seldom got that model # in. I told him that it is very hard to find that model so I would just keep it. Glad I put the Marlin in Layaway. By the way the rosy .357 shoots very nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts